Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been working off and on on this latest acquisition, as it was a little blotchy from some well intended previous owner's attempt to "dress it up" a little. I got almost all the cold blue off the barrel, mag tube and receiver, by rubbing it with Hoppes #9 and 0000 steel wool. It now has the remains of it's old original finish in an even faded blue, without the botchy cold blyue it previously had.
Fortunately it wont need any further restoration work on the metal. I replaced some buggered screws in the tang and hammer pivot. I'll strip the wood's finish which has been lightened and refinished, and apply a darker "aged" finish, and leave it at that.
Took it to the range this afternoon during a nice sun break, and the double set triggers work great! The gun shoots under 4" at 100 yds, and possibly a bit better once I work up a .40-60 load it likes.

·
Registered
719 Posts
!!!!!!!!!!

now dang it!.......i'm going to bed. :(

at least i could hold and shoot a nice remington 81 woodsmaster today...in the 35 rem cal~

not as good as 1881 w/double triggers......dang it!!!!! now i am going to bed. :oops:

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry Kaintuck, I should have told you I was working on it when you called this morning! :oops:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts