Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1881 bore diameter should be?

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  cowboykell 
#1 ·
I miked mine and it is .387 (38-55), no wonder I am having accuracy issues!!! Rifling is deep and I am wondering if this is right? Not even .381's are going to bump up that much!!! My .374 stem isn't cutting it either. Time for a reline? I really enjoy this one but am getting frustrated at attempts to make it shoot. moodyholler

#2 ·
Hey Moody,from one electrician to another,just give up on that old beater and trade it to me..I've got an antique Colt in 44-40 I'll trade. 4 3/4" barrel and in tight shootable condition..That way you won't be able to tell if it is accurate or not.I've been needing a new project anyway..My old 81 is a fire relic so am afraid to shoot it and still have my loading stuff from my last 38-55..What ya say???modoc....................

#3 ·
Modoc, the Missus bought that 81 for me as a gift and I think for safety's sake (mine), I'd better keep it. Out of the 60 guns I have she can spot it and it alone. Thanks for the kind offer as I have a great hankering for a Colt in 44-40 or 38-40. moodyholler

#4 ·
OK,,you had better keep the better half happy..Hard to find a neat gal who will keep house,cook,do dishes,shop for food,wash your clothes and press them,pamper you when you require it,take out the garbage,tend to the kids,if any,wash the car,do the bill paying,answer the phone and lie for you when it is someone you don't want to talk to,be your bed partner when required,make the bed,and most of all put up with you and your hobbies..A guy couldn't hire enough people to do all that stuff if he was a multimillionaire.........Especially and have them at your beckon call..Best take care of one superhuman person like that..modoc

#8 ·
Before you reline try casting a bullet 20-1 lead to tin, these were used for the trapdoor Springfields. They balloon out really well and I had no leading from them. As long as you keep the speed down it should work great. If it can't hit the broadside of the barn with those then time to reline.

#9 ·
Question for you all:

Why would you reline when you could get a custom mould??????

I understand relining when the bore is bad but just my humble opinion that it might be better to try to work with this old rifle the way it is by getting the correct diameter bullets rather than relining. Relining is OK but for me it is just so neat when everything is the way it was!

Good idea Sureshot, that is the mix that works really well in my 1881.

Like to know you all thoughts on this.

Geoff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.