Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have recently been looking into purchasing a Marlin 45/70. I currently own the 308 mxlr and love it, but I am looking into getting something that might better suit some of the thicker areas I hunt in GA. I have been eyeballing the 1895GS which has the 18.5 inch barrel. I actually had the opportunity to hold and fire one and liked how it handled and felt. My question is are you able to get the full effect of the 45/70 round(i.e knockdown power) in the shorter barrel as opposed a longer one. I would be using this gun for areas with shot 100 yards or less. When discussing it with a guy who seemed to know a thing or two about em said because of the short barrel length insufficient burn time etc wont get full potential of the round etc. Obviously I have very limited understanding of ballistics just want to get some feedback regarding the power and range for the different barrel lengths. Thanks alot

·
Registered
343 Posts
It depends on the load, bullet, etc. but a good rule of thumb is you lose somewhere between 25 and 40 fps per inch of barrel. I have a GBL with an 18.5 in barrel and I feel that I'm getting plenty of potential from the round. ;D I use Beartooth 425gr Piledriver Jr's with iron sights up to 100 yds and Hornady Leverevolutions out to 200 yds with a scope.

·
Registered
593 Posts
You are not going to lose any of its potential at all. I have an SBL with the 18.5" barrel and it is a monster. I know it is long enough to burn any of the powders used in factory loads and I feel you would get a complete burn out of any powder you would be loading with. Your friend was just a little misinformed and he misinformed you. I have been told by gun manufactures that the 18.5" heavy barrel that is on these guide guns is actually more accurate than the 22" or the 24" barrels because it is more rigid and responds less to the harmonics produced when a round is fired.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Try some Buffalo Bore 405 loads when you buy the gun and you will believe your getting it's full potential!

·
Contributing Member
11,599 Posts
At reasonable ranges and with the game you're likely to encounter, you'll never know the difference.

The Guide Gun was put into production after Marlin realized guys like Jim West of Wild West Guns had for years been taking people's standard 1895's and lopping them down to 18.5" and using them for serious Alaska brown bear defense. I reckon it should handle deer in Georgia. ;)

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
I do not enjoy shooting the 45-70 at it's "Full Potential". Unless you can
handle very heavy recoil I would not be concerned with a little loss of velosity.

·
Registered
539 Posts
My guide gun is the best rifle I have ever owned.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Eli Chaps said:
At reasonable ranges and with the game you're likely to encounter, you'll never know the difference.

The Guide Gun was put into production after Marlin realized guys like Jim West of Wild West Guns had for years been taking people's standard 1895's and lopping them down to 18.5" and using them for serious Alaska brown bear defense. I reckon it should handle deer in Georgia. ;)
There are several deer in Va that are very unhappy with my Guide Gun. :D

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
Gotta wonder why the original 45-70 barrels were 22 inch and longer.
Ive shot guide guns, and my 22 inch barrel will out distance all of them.
Bring in a Buffalo Classic with its 28 inch barrel, and your shooting a long ways out.
Dang Sharp's are even longer.
If I were buying a 45-70 Id want at least a 22, the extra rounds are a great feature too
Guess It comes down to what you are using it for.

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
Pard said:
Guess It comes down to what you are using it for.
That is exactly right, I use my GS for things like blueberry picking etc.. It is more than a little comforting when there is fresh tracks and brown bear scat around. I likely wouldn't drag a Cowboy 45/70 along for that although I do think they have their place too, maybe even get one someday if I'm lucky! ;D

·
Registered
593 Posts
Pard said:
If I were buying a 45-70 Id want at least a 22, the extra rounds are a great feature too
How many rounds does the 22" hold. My 18.5" SBL holds 7 (6+1) so I guess you don't get that extra round feature from the 22" afterall. It also has a pbr of around 175 yards and I don't think I would be using a 45-70 for much farther than that even with a 22" barrel.

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
I've read in a test somewhere that you lose about 7% with the 18.5" barrel compared to a 22" ( or 24" ? ) . It was not that significant. A 7% loss is not enough for me to justify a longer barrel. Guide Guns rock !

Pete

Team .45-70 Member #232

·
Registered
124 Posts
The guide gun is one of the most accruate weapons I've ever shot in it's class. The only rifle I've owned that could do better within the same distance was my old pre-64 Win M70 is 30'06. Now that's accruate! I have no idea what Marlin did to this stubby little cannon, but it is a tackdriver with the right load!

Wade

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
uberdawg

My 1895 Guide shoots the 300 gr bullets at 2200 fps and the 405 gr at 1840 fps.
Accuracy with these loads is under MOA at 100 yds. My best group with the Nosler 300 gr BST went .400"

The 18.5" barreled 45-70 is more than enough horsepower for NA.

JD338

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks alot guys. Really I appreciate the feedback. You helped make my decision much easier. This is the gun I really wanted to go with. I didn't think that extra couple inches would add much for my purposes but like to have as much info as possible before spending the $$$. This sucker felt GUD when I had the opportunity to test it ;D. I cant remember if it was loaded with the hornady 325 or the 250 but I have to say I didnt notice that much difference in the recoil vs my 308 mxlr.... Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I have two guide guns and they are very accurate and deliver plenty of damage.

·
Registered
32,303 Posts
I have a GBL 18 & 1/2" barrel, I do not think that the extra 50-100 fps makes any difference to the game. You can't get any deader than dead. They certainly would not know the difference.

·
Registered
400 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts