Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Local shop has a Ruger single six in 17HMR. Didn't even know about these until I saw it. I'm intrigued by it but not sure if I need it. Anyone else got one and if so do you like it? I have 2 rifles in this chambering and it would be cool to have a matching revolver. I think....

·
Super Moderator
7,071 Posts
Local shop has a Ruger single six in 17HMR. Didn't even know about these until I saw it. I'm intrigued by it but not sure if I need it. Anyone else got one and if so do you like it? I have 2 rifles in this chambering and it would be cool to have a matching revolver. I think....

If it's a Ruger, what's the problem? :D

jd

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
In a nut shell, the problem is the case design in a revolver. I've owned two--neither one of them Rugers, but they both exhibited similar issues. The first one was a Taurus Tracker double action stainless steel revolver. Smooth action, accurate, good sights. Problem is with case set back. Chambers must be ABSOLUTELY CLEAN. They needed to be cleaned--with solvent and brushes--then wiped dry with patches every 3-5 cylinders full, or the cases would set back against the recoil shield, causing difficult cylinder rotation at the least, or completely locking it up at worst.

The second one revolver is a Chiappa 1873 (Colt style). It did better than the Taurus, but still had the requirement of cleaning the chambers every few cylinders full. On top of that, the cylinder is made of some sort of alloy (with what appears to be) steel inserts for the chambers. After only 50 rounds, the front of the cylinder is exhibiting obvious signs of gas cutting. The fact that the gun(s) (the store had several) were on sale for 50% off should have been a clue.

This problem is not unique to the 17 HMR. S&W had this problem decades ago with the 22 Jet revolver.

The Ruger may be fine, but just be aware of the possibility of case set back. If you are OK with constant cleaning, then it could be a lot of fun, as there is virtually NO recoil--although muzzle blast is exceptional.

·
Premium Member
12,098 Posts
I don't think you, or anyone else needs a pistol chambered in that round...............

Personally, I don't like the 17 HMR caliber, and can't see it's use in a handgun...........Yeah I know, the 17HMR is supposed to be a devastating tack driver..............but in a rifle !

If I wanted a rimfire handgun larger than a 22 LR, I'd choose a 22 Mag.............But why that, too?.........If a 22 LR isn't up to the job, then choose a reloadable center fire caliber and load it for the job at hand...........

Oh, I owned S&W Model 53 pistol chambered in 22 Remington Jet in the 70's...............I wish I still owned it for its collector value, but as a useful hunting or target gun, it wasn't to my liking and the stuck cases and set back issues are still memorable..............Not to mention the horrible muzzle blast that made your face numb and want to fall off...........

Tom

Reactions: M1Riflenut

·
Registered
656 Posts
I can tell you that the ruger single six In 17 hmr especially in the hunter model are very collectible as they didn't make a lot of them .As for the standard model I'm not sure but don't think they made many of those either. My local GS had a hunter model new in box last year a was asking over $1000 and he doesn't have it anymore. If you have rifles in that caliber and like them it would be a cool addition and would be a real squirrel getter.

Reactions: M1Riflenut

·
Premium Member
12,098 Posts
Dave,

So ??............................do you own it, or not?

Tom

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.