Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a couple of boxes of Remington .17hmr and I am amazed at how bad they are.
I had 5 misfires in the first box even though the strike was very good, and the groups at 100 yds were stringing vertically by over 2 inches. :shock:
Glad I didn’t buy 500rds of this sh!te. :x
G.M.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Thats odd. I'd bring the remainder back to the seller and ask for a different lot number or a different make. All 17HMR ammo is made in Idaho at the same plant so you obviously got a bad batch. AS a rule, I stay away from Remington ammunition. Sorry you had that problem. I know 17HMR cost's an arm and a leg across the Big Pond.~Andrew

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have already spoken to the gunshop by phone and it looks like he has had quite a few complaints about this ammo’.
The Hornady stuff was superb (£10 - $17.61 a box ) and I only bought the Remington because it was a little cheaper (£8.75 - $15.41 a box), but after this I think I will stick with the Hornady stuff.
The price is supposed to be falling and indeed it has come down from £13 a box to £10, and I have heard that some places are selling for @ £6.50 a box, so hopefully the price will come down as more ammo’ is sold (wouldn’t bet on it though). :wink:
Other than that I find the calibre great fun to shoot, even though it is bloody noisy for such a tiny bullet. :)
G.M.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I was thinking of bringing my Ruger 77/17 Custom to Scotland next spring. I can get the paperwork expedited but I'm not sure it's enough gun for the longer ranges in those March, Highland winds. Those rabbits are pretty big! I'm thinking of using a local .243 and some 90 grain cast bullets instead: Just as much fun and less travel grief.~Andrew

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I use Nosler 70grn Spitzers driven with 47grns of H414 in my Tikka .243 Andrew. Flat out to 250yds and absolutely devastating on foxes.
The Scots aren’t in our good books at the moment, due to their Scottish parliament. We don’t have a say in their government, but they have many Scottish MPs in our government and seem determined to put their own laws into practice in England and Wales.
It was a Scottish madman that was the cause of our pistol ban, and every time we try to get the ban overturned it is Scottish MPs who make the loudest objections to it. :x
Scotland now has its own parliament and make their own laws, but the same MPs in their parliament still make up the labour MPs in OUR English parliament. Which is why we feel bloody angry about things, because had it not been for the massive labour vote in Scotland and the huge number of Scottish labour MPs Tony Blair wouldn’t have sneaked into power in England with less than 32% of the vote.
Can you imagine if Canada was allowed to put senators up to serve in your Senate. Can you imagine if 60 Canadian senators were voted into the Whitehouse and the Democrats then gained power by 30 seats. Well this is what is happening here. Blair is Scottish born, Brown is Scottish born as is half the bloody cabinet, which is why they still allow the same system to continue whereas the same Scottish MPs who are elected to serve in the Scottish parliament are still allowed to sit in the English Houses of Parliament. Without them Blair would not have won the last election.
How can we have a government that has been put into power by people from another country. It just doesn’t make sense.:? :? :?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Scotland is a beautiful place to visit but I live in Montana. My family is from Scotland but the way I shoot I couldn't live anywhere in the UK. Sorry about your political woes. I'm sure that there isn't much you can do about changing it, either.

Thanks for the 243 info. When I'm there we shoot a 91 grain Lyman cast bullet at 2200+ ft/sec out to 200 yards from a Brno topped with a Schmidt & Bender scope. The bullets are not only pretty much free, but they are MOA accurate and kill rabbits quite well. I'll pass on your jacketed load favorite, though. ~Andrew

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
That's rather interesting Andrew...the scion of my family came from Scotland about 325 years ago. I have often thought how it would be if I were to shoot as much and regularly as I do, had the clan stayed there.

From what I can ascertain, it was O. Cromwell that saw to it that he came to the "new world"...LOL

Tenex; is the hangup about Scottish MPs making your laws because they have a different view of things, or is it simply the unfairness of it all that raises hackles in England ?
I am just curious if there are any real differences of viewpoints between the Scots and the English..

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It’s basically the fact that Scottish MPs are totally and completely anti-shooting. :x They even want air rifles and pistols banned in the belief that this will stop anyone from committing gun crime. :roll:
They have their own parliament in Scotland and we (the English and Welsh) have absolutely no say in how they make their laws. BUT!!! they are allowed to sit in BOTH their own parliament and ours, which means that they have a marked say in the making of our laws. :?
There are over 60 Scottish MPs sitting in the English parliament, and had it not been for the left-wing attitude of the Scots, Tony Frikkin Blair would NOT have sneaked into power at the last elections.
If the Scots want to impose draconian gun laws on their own people (and it was a Scottish madman called Thomas Hamilton who committed the Dunblane atrocity) then OK….ban it in Scotland. But why the hell should WE be punished for a crime that happened in another country? :?
We have been lobbying parliament for the return of .22 target pistols, so that our pistol shooters can practice in Britain in the run-up to the 2112 Olympics.
And guess who are the main opponents to this………yup! The Scottish parliament.
:x :x :x :x :x

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Wow ! Sorry to hear that Tenex...I can clearly see why folks would be upset in England ! There is a stench to the unfairness of it all...

In any case, it does smack of gross unfairness as it is !

Imagine a person of Scottish descent , here in the US..wishing to discover that the spirit of Rob Roy and Wm Wallace were alive and well in scotland...

Shucks !! Wallace and Rob Roy would never have been anti gun...
Dagnab it !!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts