Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sighted in my 336 with a 1 by 4 leupold and was shocked by the difference between 170 and 150 grain bullets at 100 yards. Zeroed in for the 150 grain bullets it seems to me the 170 grain are falling 3.5-4.5 inches lower!

Has anybody else had this experience? The ballistics don't seem to suggest such a difference but perhaps I am missing something. Interested in input.

thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
Yeah the heavier the load the quicker it falls. I like to check Federal's website and their excellent Ballistics graghs that give you a visual of each round's trajectory.

A picture tells a thousand words.

Another reason to shoot Federal ammo.

Mike T.

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
The charts are good, but nothing beats shooting your own targets and truly "seeing is believing".

Jeff
Yeah I get that. But I check ammo BEFORE I buy it to see what kind of performance I can expect. There is a big difference between ammunition of various suppliers putting out the same calibers.

Mike T.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Yeah the heavier the load the quicker it falls.

Mike T.
Not so!!! Gravity is a constant, no matter the weight of an object. Everything falls at 9.8 meters/sec/sec. The heavier bullets are traveling slower and have more time to fall. If everything traveled at the same velocity, the impact points would be identical.

I fired .22LR yesterday (Marlin Model 80), Standard velocity, and zeroed my scope at 50 yds. I then fired CCI Velocitors, moving about 400 ft/sec faster and they impacted 2.5-3.0 inches higher.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. I just wanted to make sure this was the general experience and that I just didn't have some bad 170 grain remington bullets.

So, while I have your attention, let me ask a related question: I have Federal 150 grains bullets and also am trying some Herter's 150 grain. It is made in the Czech republic. If it were not for this silly supply problem we have, I would just shoot Federals. But right now there is a lot of Herter's. They seem to shoot about the same, but I wasn't "sandbagged" when I shot so I can't be 100% sure. Any experience out there with Herter's ammunition?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Not so!!! Gravity is a constant, no matter the weight of an object. Everything falls at 9.8 ft/sec/sec. The heavier bullets are traveling slower and have more time to fall. If everything traveled at the same velocity, the impact points would be identical.
I agree 100%. Last summer I developed a .223 load with cast bullets at 45 gr. Very accurate. I also wanted a heavier bullet to go along with it so I chose a 60 grainer. I had to load it with a lot more powder (though still way below max) to get the same point of impact.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I went to the Federal ammunition site and used their charts as was suggested by one of the posters here....and according to their charts my 170 grain should only be falling 1.1 inches more that the 150 grain bullets. Yet when I shot they seemed to be falling anywhere between 3.5 and 4.5 inches further. I don't get this. I can't believe I was shooting that much differently. Could Remington 170 grain bullets be that much different than Federal 150 grain bullets? Still puzzled.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Not so!!! Gravity is a constant, no matter the weight of an object. Everything falls at 9.8 ft/sec/sec. The heavier bullets are traveling slower and have more time to fall. If everything traveled at the same velocity, the impact points would be identical.

I fired .22LR yesterday (Marlin Model 80), Standard velocity, and zeroed my scope at 50 yds. I then fired CCI Velocitors, moving about 400 ft/sec faster and they impacted 2.5-3.0 inches higher.
Your close. It's 9.8m/s/s or 32ft/s/s

·
Registered
970 Posts
You can't judge the trajectory of a bullet based on different bullet impacts at 100 yards.The 170 are not dropping 4.0 more inches at 100 yards they are just impacting the target at a different place.
Huh??? What are you talking about? Please explain.....

·
Registered
634 Posts
Wild Willy is right....EVERY bullet weight/load will impact differently. Some just a little bit, some quite a bit more. I have had good luck with Hornady LE's and Remington 170's impacting very close from my 336, but other loads/brands have shot higher and lower from the same gun under the same shooting conditions. Just because the specific impact was 4" low for the original posters 170 gr Core Lokt's doesn't mean the 170's are so much slower than the 150's from Remington that they are "falling" 4" more at that same distance.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Wild Willy is right....EVERY bullet weight/load will impact differently. Some just a little bit, some quite a bit more. I have had good luck with Hornady LE's and Remington 170's impacting very close from my 336, but other loads/brands have shot higher and lower from the same gun under the same shooting conditions. Just because the specific impact was 4" low for the original posters 170 gr Core Lokt's doesn't mean the 170's are so much slower than the 150's from Remington that they are "falling" 4" more at that same distance.
Wait a second. The answer is always in the physics. All else being equal, it's nothing more than the bullet's "time-to-target". The longer it takes, the lower the impact point. Different barrel lengths, different powders, amount of powder, different bullet shape (drag factor / ballistic coefficient), humidity, temperature (air density), yada, yada, yada all affect the initial velocity and velocity loss until the bullet gets to the target. But, the bullet drop as a function of time-to-target is a constant. The bullet weight is irrelevant other than its effect on the ballistic coefficient.

Reactions: Greg_Mid_TN

·
Registered
551 Posts
Too detailed for me.... I use the 160 grn LE's and they hit the target at 100 yrds better than the other ammo brands, the LE's seem to group better from my 336ss.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.