Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone own a 17 Mach 2 917V? It's pretty windy here in W. Texas, not sure the Mach 2 would work well.

My 917V 17HRM is a tack driver & match winner. I was thinking of a twin gun in Mach 2...but I'm not sure if it would be any advantage over my .22 match guns.

Regards,

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Lighter bullets don't like wind as well as heavier ones..

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
We shoot p.dogs in Nebraska and it is a rare day indeed that the wind doesnt blow. The 17 HM2 does just fine. There isn't a bullet made that won't be affected to some extent by the wind. Last summer we were popping p.dogs out to about 200 yards with the 17 HMR and 17 HM2. The dont blow up at that distance like they do with the swift, 204, or 223 but they are just as dead :wink: The mach 2 is a fine round.

·
Registered
336 Posts
My wife just gave me a new 917M2 for my birthday. So far, I have been very please with the accuracy. 7 shot groups are around dime size at 50 yards, when shot from a bench vise.

However, when shooting free hand or even from a steady rest, accuracy becomes very limited due to the extremely heavy trigger. I don't know too much about Marlin's new T-900™ Fire Control System, but I can say I am not very exicted about it. The trigger is by far the worst I have ever squeezed.

I can say that wind does seem to effect the 17 gain bullets a little more than any other rimfire I have ever owned. 10 -20 mph gust did drasticly alter my groupings at 50 yards.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
If you have a good 17HMR then skip the M2. I have two M2 rifles: A Ruger 96 and a Ruger 77/22. Neither of them gets used here in Montana. Definitely not a prairiedog round...least wise if you care whether they die quickly or not. Great for CA ground squirrels.~Andrew

1 - 6 of 6 Posts