Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody hear or know when this new round (17 Mach 2) is going to see the light of day on the market? This little bugger looks like a really fun round to play with. How do you think it will effect the other rimfires out there i.e. LR, 17, .22 mag etc.? I imagine when it does come out it will probably be in the 5 to 6 dollar range per fifty but would come down after a while. :roll:

·
Registered
496 Posts
Hi Askel

Just received my Shooting Times and they had a good writeup on the new Hornady 17 Mach 2. Looks like it will be a real winner. Velocity was around 2100 fps. It has tremendous accuracy potential. They also stated ammo might be in the 5 to 6 dollar range.

Even using the Marlin 795 platform they were getting 1 inch groups at 100 yards. Bolt actions should be better. I wonder what the 39A would do in that caliber. So which Marlin do I want with the new 17 Mach 2? I don't know but I will get one. :D Parley

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hear you Parley me too. Will have to take a look at that Shooting Times when I get over to the gunshop this weekend. Owner said he had that write up. Boy, that would be the ticket in a Marlin Levergun. This thing must be very similar to a long rifle round? :D

·
Registered
496 Posts
Yep, overall length is the same. However when the 22LR case is necked down it becomes a little longer. So the brass is slightly longer. So any 22LR firearm can easily be converted to the Hornady 17 Mach2. Looks like a lot of companies will be making new models from their 22's to the 17 Mach 2. By the way Hornady expects ammo to be ready sometime around September. It was also stated that Hornady(red tip), AKT/Speer, Remington(green tip) and Eley(blue tip) will produce ammo. Parley

PS. It was also stated that Hornady has produced in excess of 147 million rounds of the 17HMR and it is still on backorder.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Sure do wish they would bring the Mach2 out in a 39A. Sure would be sweet.... but because of the sharp tip... don't think so. Lawyers would have a field day with it!! Good Day Y'all.....

·
Registered
422 Posts
Hornady literature says September for ammo availability. It does look like a fun little round.

A 39 in 17M2 would be different.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
The Mach II being a shorter rimfire allows it to be chambered in the 39a and I too think it would be a fine platform for the cartridge. It may or may not reach it's full accuracy potential in a gun with a two piece stock, but who knows?

·
Registered
719 Posts
17!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How about a little stevens falling block single shot? i can think of all types of little "poppers" i'd love this in........i will definately dust off the ol cookie jar for something in this little jewel! :D

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I think that a pistol in this cartridge might be a problem. Besides, the ST article mentioned autoloaders needing to be bolstered for the new round. Could be a problem?? I noted no 10/22 test despite the fact that a barrel could be easliy had. ~Andrew

G

·
I think, when it all settles down, that the Hornady cartridge will be the only one standing, it has more and better backing than the Aguila offering. Irrespective of anything else, including any perceived merits of the Aguila over the HM2, the backing of US companies is going to the American offering, and that is that. Regardless of aftermarket barrel makers selling .17 Aguila barrels, it's going to go nowhere.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Besides the company and name what is the difference between the .17Hm2 and the .17 aquila? There both a necked down .22lr case right?

I wouldn't mind to get a GM or A&B barrel for the little round thought, that would be sweet.

DoniphanRedneck

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
DoniphanRedneck said:
Besides the company and name what is the difference between the .17Hm2 and the .17 aquila? There both a necked down .22lr case right?

I wouldn't mind to get a GM or A&B barrel for the little round thought, that would be sweet.

DoniphanRedneck
The 17 HM2 is a necked down stinger case, the .17 Aguila is a necked down standard length .22LR case. There's about 250fps difference in MV IIRC.

EDIT. The Aguila tosses a 20 grn pill, the HM2 throws a 17 grn pill.

·
Registered
34 Posts
.17 Hm2 is the one I'd go for then. it seems like once it is necked down it will go down to the standerd size case.

DoniphanRedneck

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Sasquatch said:
Sure do wish they would bring the Mach2 out in a 39A. Sure would be sweet.... but because of the sharp tip... don't think so. Lawyers would have a field day with it!! Good Day Y'all.....
Even in a rimfire? There's no primer in the middle.........or am I all wet?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There is a nice informative article in the Amer. Rifleman this month. I definately think that this is something that is going to catch fire. It already has the backing of many major gun manufacturers including of course Marlin.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
DoniphanRedneck said:
.17 Hm2 is the one I'd go for then. it seems like once it is necked down it will go down to the standerd size case.

DoniphanRedneck

No it's the same OAL as a .22LR but uses the stingers 0.1" (IIRC) longer case. Andrew has better skinny on the .17 Aguila than I do.

As far as which will catch on, you're probably right...velocity sells.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I thought the reasonfor bringing this one out is for less velocity/destructivness on small game?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts