Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who can tell me what about this round? I bought a box because, well because I could. I'm intrigured and itching to buy a CZ 452 American chambered in it unless there's a good reason not to. What's it's general effetive range? How is its destruction on game compared to the HMR (aka squack decapitator)? Bass Pro has ammo for $5.99 per 50 rounds so it's a little cheaper than .22WMR, that's a plus.

·
Registered
57 Posts
SquirrelSniper,

I don't own 1 yet but I think I'm starting to get the itch.
As soon as 1 of the ammo manufactures comes out with some 20 grain bullets I may take the plunge.

Henry t

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts
The 17Mach2 is a necked down 22 Stinger case shooting the same 17gr Vmax bullet that is used in the 17hmr. Velocity is ~2100fps or less according to actual chrono testing, so they aren't as explosive as the 17hmr is, so they make a better squirrel meat round. They are as accurate as the 17hmr also.

Check out the 17M2 forum at RFC for lots more info...

http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=131

·
Registered
932 Posts
SQS,
I have used mine on several squirel hunts and I really like it. Does not tear up the squirrel and is very accurate at extended distance. my farthest shot with it was on a armadillo at 110-125 yds. You can also shoot the 17 aguila in it which is what I was using a couple times at shawnee last year. You will like it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
SQS,
I really like the hm2, much better squirrel round than the hmr IMO. I use a NEF sportster in hm2 and am super impressed with the accuracy of this cheap rifle and get a kick out of using a single shot...I feel like a "squirrel sniper" out there....one shot, one kill. LOL

Regards

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds good fellas. I called my dealer, err local gun shop and they can order CZ products, but don't have any in stock...they do have a NEF on the shelf though. Bass Pro was too busy to answer the phone so I don't know if they have any CZs there or not. I wanted a 'purdy' gun like a Ruger 77/17 but that only comes in .17 HMR not HM2 or Aguila. Personally I can't see paying that much for a rimfire, then paying for a (at this point) custom chambered bbl. Time and fate will tell what I end up with, thanks for the imput!

Rustynuts,

You're doing better than I did the first year. Shot damn near a box of ammo for 7 squirrels. Of couse I think it was one of those improperly labeled crooked bullets! :lol:

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Question??? Am I going to be the only one with a 22lr this year.. :D :D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gunjunkie said:
Question??? Am I going to be the only one with a 22lr this year.. :D :D :D :D :D :D
Maybe. LOL I was hoping to get a 10/22 to tinker with this winter but so far it hasn't happened. The last time I drug a .22LR out there was the first year...well unless you count a pistol. :lol:

·
Registered
932 Posts
GJ,
I will be using my .22 most of the time at shawnee. I may use the m2 one or two times depending on what area I will be hunting.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
LOL.. Yep Sarge,, I figured some will still be like me...... Will be intresting to see all the new rifles.. though..

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Sqs,
How much is your local shop selling the NEF for?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I still think the 22LR is king of the heap. I have a really fine 17HMR, three 17 Aguilas, and a custom Ruger 77/22 in 17M2 and the 22's are as accurate as any considering the bullet shape and construction. Has there ever been a more "adaptable" round? I doubt it. But since this thread is about the M2, I can tell you that mine is very accurate but not as consistent as the HMR for accuracy. I feed mine a steady diet of Aguila ammo and the 20 grainer kills nicely. I am going to build a 17 Aguila with a 1-8" twist and see if that clears up the occassional flier I get. I believe that 1-10 and 1-9 are just marginal for that length of bullet; at least at 1850 ft/sec. I have 10 boxes of SAAMI "proof" loads for the 17 Aguila and have been tempted to try them out of my Ruger 77, 17 Aguila or my Remington 541, 17 Aguila to see how that 20 grain bullet performs at 2200+ ft/sec! ...er, maybe not, eh? ~Andrew

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good to se you around these parts again Andrew! I read most of a post byt Marine PMI over on RFC earlier today. Like I said, I wanted a 77/17 but can't justify the cost right now. Hopefully this CZ is a good shooter, time will tell. Since I hardly get any trigger time I think every gun I own can out shoot me, hopefulyl I can rectify that sometime soon!

big medicine,

Bass Pro had a NEF for $199, I don't think I asked my local shop but I think I spied a tag on a NEF rifle for~$209, whish is fairly consistent with their pricing. It was worth the difference to me to not have a single shot, plus I wanted a bolt gun.

Ammo may be a problem as far as availability, Bass Pro had Hornady for $5.99 a box and I think I paid a little more at the local place for CCI. No one around here carries Aguila that I know of, I usually find that at the gun shows. We'll see who carries what and at what prices.

I need to get some .17 cal cleaning supplies though, namely a 1 piece rod and some pathces. Read about a patch worm on RFC today too, anyone had any experience with them?

As far as the HM2 over the HMR, I already have a .22WMR and honestly I love it but the ammo pricing is close to .223! I could run my AR for about the same price and have a bigger grin. LOL The HM2 is running ~$6 a box so it's less than 22WMR and .223, as always it's nice to have a new gun/caliber to play with as well. 8)

Waity till I save the change for a Remington 700 PSS in .308, the long range fun will begin!

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts
I have 3 patchworms, 1 for 17 cal and 2 others for up to 45 cal....they work excellent....Don't care to use a rod in the 17s, too much rod flex in that tiny bore with the tiny rod, don't care to cause any undue wear on the throat, the Patchworm solves that problem for little cost. Their patch prices aren't bad either so be sure to order some of those too...

www.patchworm.com

You fellas that have the 17M2s should try the new Eley ammo, it seems to be getting great reviews for the most part at RFC. Seems the OAL is most consistent and the Eley priming is a big plus toward eliminating those frequent flyers!! I haven't tried it yet, but intend to.... :wink:

http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/134258

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll try out the patch worms, thanks. Does anyone have any recomendations for solvents to celan the bore of this new rah-ful? I heard they come caked with grease. :?

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
I use the patch worm on my 17 and it works great and a little Break Free on your patch is all you need.

Sturgis

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
rustynuts said:
NEF sportster in 17hm2 in Belleville, IL was just 130.00 NIB. Prices must be super high on the East coast?
Yeah, everything's more $$$ here. :roll: Plus I live in the city...that doesn't help either.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts