Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got some $$ on a Malin 917M2S with a brick of 17 Aguila waiting at the house.

Does anyone know if Green Mountain Barrels has or still makes a 17 Aguila barrel for the Ruger 10/22. I know a 17 high standard barrel is available, but don't remember the difference between it and the 17 Aguila.

I hope the 20 grain bullet will stabalize in the Marlin barrel. Does anyone know the twist? It will be two or three weeks before I pick mine up. Thanks Mike

·
Registered
932 Posts
Randall,
I can't answer your questions, but if Andrew reads this he can give you the info that you want. I have a Savage MK II GLV in hm2 and it will shoot the 17 aguila pretty accurately, but my other hm2 rifle will not. I have known of other hm2 rifles that will not shoot them well at all. You just have to see if your Marlin hm2 will shoot the aguila.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Sarge ...

I was "fishing" for Andrew. LOL I do have a take off standard weight barrel, so might have to find someone to reline it. The $65.00 for a reamer is a little steep for one barrel and I still don't know if the twist of the 17 liners will be OK with the 17 Aguila.

The dang 917m2s just about matched my 917H (special run, blued action 'n hardware with laminated gray stock 'n stainless barrel). The dealer had two and I liked the serial no. of the one I got. Mike

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Green Mountain will make the M2 barrel for the "96 Ruger" which is identical to the 10/22. I don't know if they still make 17 Aguila/Hi standard barrels. The difference is negligible. I have shot thousands of 17 Aguila through M2 chambers. They shoot fine. I have seen two M2 chambered barrels that wouldn't shoot M2 very well and those were poor performers with the Aguila, too. A poor barrel won't shoot anything! As to the 10/22; I once averaged .6" at 50 yards for twenty consecutive 5-shot groups from a 10/22 Ruger with an M2 barrel attached. The barrel was a test tube from Green Mountain. I have it's mate attached to my 77/22. I shoot both ammos through the 77.22 and they shoot fine. ~Andrew

PS: As to the twist, try to get faster that 1:9 if possible. I think 1:8 would be perfect for the Aguila's long bullet, and it would handle the M2 round well also.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts