Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
16" barreled .30-30?

I'm still kicking around the idea of a trapper length 336 in .30-30. Specifically I'm thinking about getting a 336Y Spikehorn model (16" barrel youth model) and swapping a full size 336 pistol grip stock onto it.

Is anyone here shooting a 16" .30-30? If so, does this barrel length severly hamper accuracy? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
16" barreled .30-30?

As a general rule, barrel length has nothing much to do with inherent, or mechanical, accuracy. What it does affect is sight radius. If you're using iron sights a shorter barrel means a shorter sight radius, which translates into an inherently less-precise sighting arrangement. How much practical effect this will have depends upon the types of shots you take (and with a 16" bbl. I'd assume they're mostly short) and the shooter's eyes.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
16" barreled .30-30?

I'm not very long armed......I've kind of eyed that Spikehorn to be kind of nice just as is.........

·
Registered
422 Posts
16" barreled .30-30?

I've got an 18 1/2" barrelled 336 Texan which is the most accurate of my 30/30's. As has been already stated, short barrel lengths are not a hinderence to accuracy but do cut down on the sight distance and in the way the rifle balances and handles. Long heavy barrels tend to "hold" better in offhand shooting at the expense of handiness.

I also have a Spikehorn but have not shot it, its still new in the box. The Spikehorn would be a really handy little brush gun with the full size stock.

I also have an original 16" Marauder Carbine in 35 Remington. Its pretty accurate, although I have never scoped it and worked it out on the bench. It is quite a flamethrower however!

Try it and let us know.

Good shooting.

·
Registered
472 Posts
16" barreled .30-30?

If you put a receiver sight on it, you'll probably end up with about the same sight radius as the factory sights give on the 20" barrel.
In any event, I'd recommend a receiver peep sight anyway as I feel the factory iron sights leave a lot to be desired.

·
Registered
39 Posts
16" marlin 30/30

Hello,
Well, have not had any experience with one yet, but getting ready to do so for purchased one of those low cost marlin TK 36 w/ 18.5" barrel and find that the muzzle is messed up and going to cut and crown to legal length, actually 16.5" or just over legal length so as to not upset anyone.

Should make a real handy field carbine for it is light as a feather and quick to shoulder as is and have an Ashley ghost rear sight on it and will put a bold sourdough partridge type front sight blade up front. Figure with a lttle practice, whatever that post lands on and squeeze the shot should get a solid hit. Will let you know in the near future.
dsiteman
Favor Center!!

·
Premium Member
11,003 Posts
16" barreled .30-30?

I've been hunting with a 16 1/8' barreled 336/35 for 25+ years. You won't lose velocity if you hand load, and you won't lose accuracy if you scope it, or use a receiver sight.
I chrono 2010 fps with a 200gr. Hornady RN and 39.8 gr.s of IMR4320.......This works very well in my rifle... It drops 'em !.......I reccommend you work your loads up slowly, looking for pressure signs along the way.

Tomray
NRA LIFE

·
Registered
363 Posts
16" barreled .30-30?

I don't have a Marlin in Trapper length, (my 336 is regular 20" bbl.) but I have long owned a Winchester 94 Trapper in .30-30. It would be hard to find a more handy carbine out in the woods, bouncing around in a truck or Jeep, or on an ATV, etc.

Mine likes the 150 grains bullets and is very accurate. I have an old Williams 5D receiver sight on it, which improves the sighting ability.

Can't go wrong with a Trapper length .30-30.

L.W.

·
Super Moderator
15,896 Posts
16" barreled .30-30?

tubbythetuba said:
I'm not very long armed......I've kind of eyed that Spikehorn to be kind of nice just as is.........
Sorry Sergeant; you wrote the check & I've just got to cash it! :mrgreen:

Too many "SHORT-ARM INSPECTIONS" during your Army career? Inquiring minds want to know! :roll: :oops: :x :p

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
16" barreled .30-30?

Dawei said:
tubbythetuba said:

Too many "SHORT-ARM INSPECTIONS" during your Army career? Inquiring minds want to know! :roll: :oops: :x :p
A Sergeant and a CW4 were in the PX latrine and both were wizzing. The Sergeant finished and started to walk out the door and the Chief started in on him about the virtues of hand washing and how Cleanliness was next to Godliness, etc.....He finished by saying: They taught us as WOCs to wash our hands after using the pisser. The Sergeant replied that they taught him not to piss on his fingers.... :shock:

·
Super Moderator
15,896 Posts
16" barreled .30-30?

tubbythetuba said:
Dawei said:
tubbythetuba said:

A Sergeant and a CW4 were in the PX latrine and both were wizzing. The Sergeant finished and started to walk out the door and the Chief started in on him about the virtues of hand washing and how Cleanliness was next to Godliness, etc.....He finished by saying: They taught us as WOCs to wash our hands after using the pisser. The Sergeant replied that they taught him not to piss on his fingers.... :shock:
Actually that was between a Butter Bar Lieutenant and a Warrant & the 2nd Lt came out of there with a red face. (This warrant was NEVER A WOC: AKA "SHAKE & BAKE". BACK IN THE DAY THEY PINNED YOUR BARS ON & CUT YOU LOOSE TO TERRORIZE LTS & CPTS).

BTW; my son & I were both drawn for a doe tag in GMU 501. Your still welcome to join us!

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
16" barreled .30-30?

Dawei said:
tubbythetuba said:
Dawei said:
tubbythetuba said:

Actually that was between a Butter Bar Lieutenant and a Warrant & the 2nd Lt came out of there with a red face. (This warrant was NEVER A WOC: AKA "SHAKE & BAKE". BACK IN THE DAY THEY PINNED YOUR BARS ON & CUT YOU LOOSE TO TERRORIZE LTS & CPTS).

BTW; my son & I were both drawn for a doe tag in GMU 501. Your still welcome to join us!
Thanks! This season should see up on top of Bloody Run hill or over on Hartstein Island......there was bear sign on the Bloody Run hill last year.....(no doe tag for me this year)

·
Registered
177 Posts
16" barreled .30-30?

I bought a used Glenfield 30-30 at a pawnshop and had it cut to 16 1/4" had the trigger smoothed up.. It already had the pistol grip. All together I have only around $300 in it

G

·
16" barreled .30-30?

:lol: My 10 year old daughter's Spikehorn is as accurate as my full size 336cs with the same loads at 100 yards (groups of 1-2". Both fitted with 4x Bushnell scopes. My youngest son is 11 year old and shoots a Winchester Trapper cut down to 12 1/2 " LOP, also with a 4x. It shoots just as accurately.
(he got a record bear last year using this rifle) :wink:

·
Administrator
23,798 Posts
16" barreled .30-30?

There is an older 336RC with half mag in a pawn shop in Grand Rapids, Mich on south division st just north of 36th st. This is a 20" bbl with a somewhat rare half mag. Bob the bbl 4" and you have what you want. The asking price is $185 30-30 cal pre cross bolt safety.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts