Discussion Starter · #1 ·
158 gr Hornady FP XTP
14 gr 2400
CCI 550
Fedral 1x fired (silver) brass
Lee Dies
COL 1.590"
moderate crimp
The book has this load at 1600 fps in a 22" barrel.

Big 5 Marlin 1894 38/357cal, plain hardwood stocks, open sights, 18" ballard rifling barrel.

This gun has been fired less than 100 times. I'm adjusting to the trigger that is not as nice (broken in?) as my 3 other 60s & 70s vintage Marlins.

50 yards, Sunny 82*, Wind quarting Right to Left from rear, front sandbags.

Groups 1-3/4", 1-1/2" & 1-3/8"

Very nice load to shoot.

Does anyone have any recent max recommended load data for this bullet-powder combination? My manuals are older and I've heard the 2400 loads have been scaled back.

My Marlin Leverguns
http://www.grovestreet.com/jsp/onepic.jsp?id=1024728
Selling one? I need more.

Reactions: Land Cruiser

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Alliant's web site lists 14.0 of 2400 as max with a 158 grain JSP bullet, so you are right there.

Not surprised at all with your results. The FP/XTP is the best bullet I have found in my 1894C as well. If you are looking for more speed, get yourself some Hodgdon Lil' Gun powder. 18 grains will send your FP/XTP downrange at 1850-2000 fps.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've read some good things about Lil'gun. Would it work well in 44 magnum carbine/rifle loads too?

What velocity would maximize the performance of the XTP as a hunting round?

My Hornady & Speer Manuals list the Max being higher in the 357 rifle cartridge section. I didn't see were Alliant's site said it was the "Max" load though. It said "recipe". It made me wonder if that was the max or a load that works well with that weight bullet.

G

·
Got a 94CB in .357 and I shoot more than that in 2400 for my game loads. I would think do to the fact that is listed under pistol loads that is why they list 14gns.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Wet Dog said:
I've read some good things about Lil'gun. Would it work well in 44 magnum carbine/rifle loads too?

What velocity would maximize the performance of the XTP as a hunting round?

My Hornady & Speer Manuals list the Max being higher in the 357 rifle cartridge section. I didn't see were Alliant's site said it was the "Max" load though. It said "recipe". It made me wonder if that was the max or a load that works well with that weight bullet.
The Alliant listings are maximum. They say that and tell you to start at 10% less on the "click through" agreement you hit to get to the recipes. Your rifle may well take higher pressures than that, but that is for you to decide.

Lil' Gun works well in .44 mag, it is about the same burn rate as H110. You don't get the high velocity, low pressure anomaly that you find in .357 magnum though. Hornady lists the optimum performance range of the FP/XTP as 1200-1800 fps.

·
Registered
355 Posts
That's a great bullet for deer sized critters, but you need to stay in the 1600-1700 fps range on your muzzle velocity. The XTP-FPs are tough bullets, but will still open up way too quick if you smack a shoulder with one at close range, and the velocity is too high.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imashooter and Jerry,
Thanks for the great insights. I actually read the click through this time and you are correct, "Do not exceed..." is in bold at the bottom of the page thanks for pointing that out. God is watching out for me with a little help from you guys.

It's looking like the lil'gun powder might work better at the velocities listed for the bullet performance. I haven't had a chance to chronograph the loads from this gun yet and I would like to have a load that would work well on the little blacktails (150lb would be good sized) we have on this side of the mountains.

Shots would be under 75 yards and more likely closer than that. I usually hear them before I see them and then I try to stalk to a good spot to see them and then ambush them. This little 1894 would be a lot nicer to carry in the thick forests we have here than my old 06' was.

Reactions: Golphin

·
Registered
355 Posts
I used to use the 158g XTP-FPs for deer in my rifle, but now I use the Remington 158g SPs. I buy'em bulk (2000 at a time) from Midway. They're cheap, and the performance is better than any other bullet I've tried on deer sized game.

If you'll try this bullet, and find a load that pushes them up to around 1700-1800 fps(muzzle), you'll have a great deer combo that'll work very nicely from 0 to 100 yards. It'll "really" shine from 25 to 75 yards, with performance that will pleasantly surprise you.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have loaded the 35 rem with the 158 XTP FP with 36 grs, of 3031 with good accuracy in a 336A. This was a max load that had compressed powder that should be worked up to slowly and carefully.

·
Registered
280 Posts
The HP XTP has always shot a little better in mine and the speer GDHP even better again but the FP XTP is better on game.

·
Premium Member
11,744 Posts
If you can get some Lil'Gun or H110 powder with magnum primers you should be able to get what you want. What you have sounds accurate enough if you can check the chrony that might tell you for sure..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts