Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Son of Rex L. & Pat Webb of Portage, MI, shoots his first Gobbler October 5th-2004 at 7:10pm, in Kalamazoo County.

Rex's Tom Turkey weighed in around 20lbs and had a 6 1/4 inch beard.

Here is his story:

Opening Day for Turkey Hunting was Monday Oct. 4th, I went hunting with
a family friend Mr.Graham, also of Portage. Mr. Graham was bow-hunting for deer and I was turkey hunting. We sat a ways from one another, I saw 10 deer and heard another blow at something. I saw a monster **** and a lot of squirrels, but no turkeys.

Mr. Graham had seen a lot of turkeys and no deer!

I just figured, they knew what we were up to and were toying with us. Needless to say, neither of us had any luck opening day.

We went out again on Tuesday-Oct 5th, in the afternoon around 4:30pm.
This time I sat on the ground and Mr. Graham was up above me in the tree with his bow. We didn't see anything until about 6:30pm-6:45pm, when 2 does and 3 yearlings walked by. Around 7:00pm 3 turkeys walked in, 1 on my left and 2 out in front of us, about 25 yards. Mr. Graham nor I could tell right away whether they had beards or not.

Finally one from out in front of us, walked into a clearing, still about 25
yards away. I was able to get my gun up, put the bead on his head and
squeeze off the shot, he dropped as soon as he was hit. We waited a few minutes before going over to check him out. I then picked him up and we headed for home.

I had forgotten my camera that I bought Monday night before we went hunting, so we went to Mr. Graham's house on the way home and took a few pictures there, then to my house and took a few more pictures with my camera, cleaned the bird and anxiously waited for my Dad to get home from a meeting. A little later I called my Grandpa Webb in Brown City, who I am named after, and I talked with him for about an hour, and told him all about the hunt.

My whole family is as excited as I am about getting my first turkey. I can't wait to get the tail-mount back from the Taxidermist, so I can take it up to Brown City and show it to Grandpa and Grandma Webb, as well as Uncle Jay and Aunt Martha Blackmer, in person.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Congrats Rex Lee Super fine Hunting for sure :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
Way to go Rex. A big congratulations young man!!

Dave :D

·
Registered
363 Posts
way to go waxer! you are a young man with patience. that is a quality that is extremely lacking in folks today. that is what it takes for some kinds of hunting as well. turkey being one of them.

congratulations! those shawnee squacks will be in a heap of trouble next year!

good luck!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
That's a nice turk, waxer! Congratulations!!!

Turkeys were just recently introduced here, and I have yet to bag one.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
244 Posts
Congrats! Way to go! It's a great start to the year.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Congratulations are in definite order. You should be proud! Nice shot too. Keep it up!

Chef

·
Registered
151 Posts
Congratulations are in definite order. You should be proud! Nice shot too. Keep it up!

Chef

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There you go "..Waxer" -- You have a Beautiful Mount there Young Man, you have definately earned your braggin' rights to that one. :wink:

·
Registered
264 Posts
Alot of the big game hunters don't think to high of the mighty bird in the woods. Most Turkey hunters are a slight breed apart from the rest. We're not settling for anything other than a challenge. And at the root of why we hunt you will find your trophey.

Rex - a fine fantail you scored there, well done!
To the Hunt!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts