Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a special offer from my lgs to buy 15k rounds of Federal Champion no. 715 .22lr solid for $27 each brick. Are they reliable and accurate in autoloaders? The price is very nice for our market, but i don´t want to buy ammo i can´t rely on.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
If you're talking about the regular Federal Champion 525 round bulk pack you should be fine, this is my preferred bulk ammo and I have gone through prob 2000 rounds or so still with not a single ammo related issue. These are 36 grain, copper plated hollow points though, not "solid" as you mentioned...

this is a link describing the ammo I'm talking about:

Federal Premium 22 LR Champion Ammunition-420349 - Gander Mountain

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
Yes, it's pretty good ammo. Check out 22Plinkster's youtube channel. Federal bulk 22 is the ammo he shoots. $27 a brick? These days that's a decent price here, too.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you're talking about the regular Federal Champion 525 round bulk pack you should be fine, this is my preferred bulk ammo and I have gone through prob 2000 rounds or so still with not a single ammo related issue. These are 36 grain, copper plated hollow points though, not "solid" as you mentioned...

this is a link describing the ammo I'm talking about:

Federal Premium 22 LR Champion Ammunition-420349 - Gander Mountain
No i am talking about the 50rd boxes packed to 500 round bricks.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
I guess they make a variety in the Champion line. The only one I have seen is the 40 gr uncoated. It is not an auto loader but my CZ loves anything uncoated and especially the 40 gr Champion. I think it is rated at 1140 fps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I guess they make a variety in the Champion line. The only one I have seen is the 40 gr uncoated. It is not an auto loader but my CZ loves anything uncoated and especially the 40 gr Champion. I think it is rated at 1140 fps.
They claim 1240 on the box.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Buy all you can afford. Re-sell what you can't shoot. Mark up is your option, 20%, 25%, 50%, 100% — your choice to cover you expenses and make a bit on the side.

Federal makes a good round.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Buy all you can afford. Re-sell what you can't shoot. Mark up is your option, 20%, 25%, 50%, 100% — your choice to cover you expenses and make a bit on the side.

Federal makes a good round.
I don´t like the idea of ripping off other shooters, the only thing i do is organizing group buys.

Besides it would not work over here, there is always much more ammo in stores than demand.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Federal Bulk is good ammo if your rifle likes it. Personally, I wouldn't buy that much unless I already knew the answer.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I actually have the most 22LR in Federal Champion and it's good stuff.
It doesn't matter about the packaging. They package it in small boxes
for retail as well as bulk packs and even in Tuna cans with a poptop lid.
It's all the same and it's all good.
You are going to pay around $800 for 15,000 rds and that's a good price.
I'm amazed that any gun store would sell 22LR in that quantity
nowadays, but lucky you for finding such a great deal!
f you were to buy Armscorp 22LR ammo 10,000 rds would cost you $1,300!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I actually have the most 22LR in Federal Champion and it's good stuff.
It doesn't matter about the packaging. They package it in small boxes
for retail as well as bulk packs and even in Tuna cans with a poptop lid.
It's all the same and it's all good.
You are going to pay around $800 for 15,000 rds and that's a good price.
I'm amazed that any gun store would sell 22LR in that quantity
nowadays, but lucky you for finding such a great deal!
f you were to buy Armscorp 22LR ammo 10,000 rds would cost you $1,300!
Sounds like i am going to make a great deal with the Federal Champion, but i will still try a few boxes on the range first.

That´s not unusual, it would cost me one phone call and i could pickup 50.000 rounds of .22lr the same day at my lgs.

·
Banned
2,262 Posts
No wonder we can't find any here...it's all over there:hmmmm:
Sounds like i am going to make a great deal with the Federal Champion, but i will still try a few boxes on the range first.

That´s not unusual, it would cost me one phone call and i could pickup 50.000 rounds of .22lr the same day at my lgs.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts

It's a good price by todays standards. Many of us remember the 1 cent a round ammo.
But those days are long gone.
I believe I paid $2.99 per 50 rds and that works out to $29.99 per 500.
If it's accurate enough for what you are shooting go for it.

·
Registered
395 Posts
my suggestion would be to buy a brick or two and shoot it, IF your gun likes it, either BUY it, or shop about, if your buying that much ammo, 15 k worth, I would think a better price can be had, and I would shop about a little
I know 22 ammo is not easy to come by, but from being a gun dealer, I would think an order like that can be found at a better deal even today!

·
Banned
2,157 Posts
Two kinds of Fed bulk down here. One is 525 rounds blue box, one 550 rounds red box. They are not the same nor is bulk vs. pre-pakced bricks.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Do they both say Federal Champion? I don't think they do.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I tried 300 rounds yesterday, no malfunctions and acceptable accuracy in rifle and pistol. I went to the lgs this morning with $1000 cash in pocket and wanted to bull all the ammo. To my unpleasent surprise he now asked for $40 a brick. I asked him why he changed the price over weekend and i got the answer that this was a mistake and he is so sorry but he can´t sell it for less. I tried to haggle the price down to $35 but he prefered to sell nothing instead to accomondate a customer. I thanked him for his time and left without buying one round.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
When you find a great deal you either jump on it or lose it.
They can't make you bring the ammo back after you bought it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts