Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the summer I developed 5 loads which all shoot MOA or better in my Rem 700 Mtn LSS 7mm-08. For deer hunting this season, I've narrowed it down to these two. The 145 Grn Speer SP (HotCor) or the 154 Grn Hornady Round Nose.

I hunt the mountians of NW Arkansas primarilly for whitetails, although black bear and big hogs are a possibility. All shots would be under 300 Yds. (My personal limit). I also use a Burris scope w/ Ballistic Plex reticle which I've caliberated for both these rounds, so trajectory is not at issue here.

I am particularly interested in hearing about "on game" performance of these two bullets, regardless of caliber you used . So please share your preference / recommendation, the caliber you used, and the "on game" results you have experienced.

Thanks a bunch!

firstshot
----------------------------
Make your first shot count!

·
Premium Member
12,005 Posts
First off I have to admit that I haven't used either of those bullets despite a lot of years of using a 7mm Rem mag as my primary hunting rifle.

That said, if 300 yard shots are a possibility, and if black bear and large wild boar are possible in addition to whitetail... I'd go with the pointed bullet. Not so much because of a slightly "flatter" trajectory, but because it will retain considerably more velocity, and also be less affected by crosswinds.

I like round-nose bullets, but consider them primarily a shorter to mid-range bullet. They do tend to perform well on game, expanding even if velocity drops off. If I was hunting at 150 or 200 yards and under, I'd seriously consider a round nose bullet. I think though, that you'll find the higher retained velocity of the pointed bullet will be an advantage at longer ranges, like your 300 yard shot.

The 7mm-08 is a great cartridge. For me, the big advantage it has over the .308 is the slick 7mm bullets avail, which retain velocity nicely at longer ranges. Going to a round nose defeats this advantage.

By the way, a 7mm bullet weighing about 140 - 160 grains is a great deer killer! Either way you go, I'm sure you'll put venison in the freezer.

Regards, Guy

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Guy

I see what you mean about the spire points retained velocity / energy and being less effected by wind. Great point!

Even at 100Yds the SP has 204 more FPS & 215 more Ft Lbs which might be expected considering it is starting out a higher velocity; however, this difference increases with additional yardage. At 300 Yds diff is 396 FPS and diff in energy is 455 Ft Lbs.

Difference is wind drift is also significant. From 150 Yds on out with a 10 MPH wind, wind drift of the 154RN is amlost twice that of the 145 SP. At 300 Yds, the 154 RN drifts 12.4" compared to the 154 SP 6.7". In my book that's significant.

Seems to make a good case for the 145 Speer SP!

firstshot
------------------------------------

·
Premium Member
12,005 Posts
The wind drift figures really convinced me to leave my round-nose and flat point bullets for shorter range shooting. The pointed bullet advantage is clear at 300 yards, and becomes more so as the range increases. Windy country here, and I like a flat shooting load that has minimal wind drift. Helps me make tough shots.

Best of luck on your hunt! Guy

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I think I'm going to load up some of both and keep both with me when hunting. I'll probably keep the 145 Speers SPts loaded up most of the time and expecially when longer shots are a posibility. When "woods" hunting where shots would be 150 Yds or less, I'll load up the 154 Hdy RN.

That way I'll have the best of both worlds.

firstshot
---------------------------------------

1 - 5 of 5 Posts