Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys:

I had a chance to use my chronograph today so I made up 5 rounds with the Hornady 140 grain monoflex and 5 with the Hornady FTX. I fired these out of my wife's 336 30-30 with an 18" barrel. Accuracy is promising. Three rounds from each group fell in less than .75" from each set and I didn't do a particularly good job of loading the ammo.

Monoflex 140 grain
35.5 grains of LVR powder
Average Velocity: 2403 FPS
Standard Deviation: 10.1

FTX 160 grain
35.5 grains of the LVR powder
Average Velocity 2272
Standard Deviation:24.9

Note that 34 grains of Reloader 15 shoots the 160 grain FTX out of this gun with a muzzle velocity of 2124

I didn't see any serious high pressure signs. The cases didn't stick and extracted easily, the primers are not flattened or pierced and the Brass does not appear to have stretched too much. The load is compressed at 35.5 grains so I'm not sure that increasing the load will be beneficial or particularly safe.

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
I tried LVR powder with the FTX bullets. My most accurate load was 34 grains and at 35 grain accuracy was still acceptable. I went all the way up to 37 grains but the groups started to spread out quite a bit at 36 grns and at 37 grns I got a 5" spread. The hot loads were really starting to stretch the cases and the noticeable difference in felt recoil told me it was time to back off.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts