Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that there are numerous guys that hunt deer with the 30/30 that swear by this bullet. I was just wondering if anyone has tried loading it in the 308Marlin Express? The Hogdon 2011 annual loading manual has several loads that exceed 2700fps and one in excess of 2800fps. I know that this is promotrd as a "game" bullet and not a varmint bulletand the 30/30 guys that use it brag about its killing power. My question is has anyone that has loaded this bullet actually taken deer with it and what were the results? I am concerned that the 2700fps + velocity may be more than the bullet could stand in close range shots. What are your experiences, or what do you think?
Goat

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
I never tried the Speer but I tried the Sierra. Other than 160gr FTX with the Leverevolution powder I have not found anything that shot with a dang in the 308MX. I tried a bunch of bullets and powders back in 2007/2008 and finally gave up, because accuracy was mediocre at best. You might give it a try and let us know what you come up with.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I've used the 130gr FP from the .30/30. At 2,550fps I found it to be a tad "hard" of a bullet. I shot two deer with it that I lost (broad-side lung shots). Both left a scant blood trail. My impression is that the bullet didn't expand sufficiently. I've gotten better performance from cast bullets........It is accurate from my Marlin/Glenfied M30, however.... I use 37.5gr of RL15...

Another deer I shot with it (130gr FP) was a large bodied 8pt buck that tipped the scales at 186lbs (live weight). This one I hit broad side through the spine/shoulder. Of course he dropped on the spot. The bullet held together well and gave a 3/4" exit wound.

I don't believe that you'll have problems with this bullet as it is intended to hold up to the higher speeds of the .30/40 Krag and other .30cal centerfire cartridges of higher velocities than the .30/30.

If anything, I consider it too hard for the .30/30. I prefer the 150gr and 170gr Remington CorLokt's. I've also had excellent luck/performance with the Sierra 125gr HP from the .30/30.
I've also had excellent performance from the 150gr Speer FP from the .30/06 at ~2,700fps.
If I had a .308ME, I'd probably feed it the 150 and 170gr Remington CorLokts. Over a proper charge of RL15, BLC2, or Varget; it's probably as good a deer rifle as there is.........

OTH; I have a .338ME. It IS the best deer rifle I've ever used.....

·
Registered
913 Posts
That bullet will work at those velocities. I used it for deer and antelope in my 307 Win at nearly 2900 and it was a very good bullet for that. As was stated, it's a bit on the hard side for 30-30 speeds, but still works.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Never tried this bullet nor have I killed anything with my 308MX yet but paper...but in my tinkering I found the 125gr Remington Pointy Core-Lokts that I bought in bulk to shoot out of my Rem788 30-30 shot very very well running probably very close to 2700 out of my 308MX...if it matters I always turn my case necks for uniform thickness and test my rounds for straightness...never found any out by the way...I plan on using them in the 2shot mode

·
Premium Member
5,226 Posts
I have gotten good loads with 150 and 170 gr. Bullets along with the 160gr. All these are with leverevolution powder. I have a few downloaded Sierra 125gr. With 4895 as a download for my son.. we will see how it goes.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I am working up a load using some old Speer Hot Cor 150gr FP's that I got on clearance about a number of years back. I am using Varget and I am getting 1" 5 shot groups at 100yds. I just load up some tonight using 2520 to see how they compare accuracy wise. I figure I can get some more velocity out of the 2520.

Gary

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.