Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seein as deer season is over and my truck gun is going to be my 30-30 this year and coyotes/feral hogs are my local varmints I have been working up some 130 grain bulleted loads using RL7. After some testing 29 grains of RL7 seems to give the best accuracy with both the130 Speer HP(not the TNT) and the Speer 130 flat point. Both bullets shoot to point of aim at 100 yards giving groups around 1 1/4 inches. My guess is I am getting 2400 fps. Bullet performance in sand shows the HP to be very fragile losing core and turning into pieces of jacket material which is good to keep ricochets to a minimum. The flat point which used to be billed as a game bullet by Speer expands a lot but ends up as mostly the rear section of the bullet with the core still in place. This is at 25 yards and though sand is not flesh it gives me the idea that the 130 FP would probably hold together well enough for low broadside hits or neck shots on hogs. Does anyone have any experience using the 130 grain Speer flat point on game?

G

·
Rick,

That load sounds about right. My favorite load for 30/30 with 125grn bullets is 30.0grns RL-7. I cronied a load of 30.0grns RL-7 with a RP 125 PSP and got 2455fps and outstanding accuracy with my M336. Of course with one in the chamber and one in the magazine. BM

Bill

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went up to 32.0 grains of RL7 but right at 30 grains the 130 grain Speer flat point started making 2 plus inch groups. Th HP never missed a beat, kept shooting great but the flat point has the most important job which it did today. I took a neck shot on a 150 pound hog that was grazing with cattle today. I hit the little sow right under the ear at maybe 50 yards and she dropped. The bullet didn't exit and I am not going to autopsy the head/neck area but I am calling it good.

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Better late than never. My son and I have been blasting bucks with the 130 gr. Speer and a 30-30 for a good while. I think they are the best light 30-30 bullet going. Life is good, BestLever

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I might just hunt Oklahoma this year using my 336 and the 130 grain load. Hard to say anything bad about accurate rifles that provide good killing power and little recoil.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts