Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all,
i was just curious to see if anyone out there has tried loading a 125 grain gold dot for a 35 remington. It would be for me a home defence type round but i have seen no data or even stories of attempts with this loading. I think that a 125 grain round moving at 2000 if not higher fps could be a good choice to prevent possible over penetration in a close up environment. let me know what you thing.
thanks
Ochute

·
Super Moderator
5,548 Posts
I think anything that is running 2000 fps is going to penetrate a lot......wallboard, wood, whatever. Make sure you hit and penetration is a moot point in terms of hitting things other than intended. In other words, the safest bet to ensure nothing unintended gets hit is to fire as few rounds as possible.......because the guy you're shooting at may well shoot back, and he doesn't care where his bullets are going. Better stop the fight right away.

Given that capacity is similar to a shotgun and action cycling is somewhat slower, I cannot see what a 35 Remington rifle could do that a pump shotgun loaded with buckshot could not do better in a home environment, and buckshot penetrates less than a bullet going 2000 fps should it miss. Some 336's will not cycle shorter than standard length rounds very well. Load a batch and try them through the tube before loading a large quantity and assuming that they will work.

Yes, I've shot these bullet in a 35 Remington. A pump Mossberg or Remington 12 gauge is better suited for your intended use.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
If the .35 Remington is all you have, the 125gr bullets are better than a 200gr RN that will shoot through half an apartment complex.

I suspect that a case full of Trail Boss and a 110gr Sierra Blitz would be pretty nasty on the receiving end. They expand reliably in a .38 Spcl.

I'd much rather put my chances on a 12/20ga pump, and a 3" Turkey load.

·
Super Moderator
5,548 Posts
TMan.....one of the things most frowned upon for home defense use is birdshot. By those who know.

Given that a Maverick 88 can be had for 180-220 bucks, and the ChiCom 12 gauge pumps for comparable, that's probably the way to go if money is an issue. Pawn shops or gun shows may be able to beat that price.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
35remington, i agree with you fully this is mostly a curiosity thing for me more than anything else. i have my go to guns for home defence and the 336 is a last resort, kind of a back up to my back ups. I think more of my thought process was how is a gold got going to hold up to that kind of velocity. also my meaning of over penetration was more looking at my intended target and how that bullet would react i know that my 9mm pistol is going through a lot of drywall before it stops more so than my 5.56, the 35rem would at minimum make an interesting ballistics gel test plus if it were reliable it would not be a bad thing to have laying around or loaded up in my rifle when im not hunting with it. I do greatly appreciate the input.

by the way what kind of velocities was your 125 grain load getting up too? enough to turn a gold dot into a bonded meteorite?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
2600 fps + would sure bust yotes and sounds like fun. A thought about slowing down to 357 rifle or pistol vels to keep bullet in target with more repeatable firings and hits . Less recoil. Less worry about over penetration. Have fun ad bangaway.

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
Wow! 2600+ fps that's fast how accurate where they? I've been playing around with some 140 gr xtps in my 35. Thay shoot ok about 2 to 1.5 inch groups. I don't know how fast there going but I'm guessing some where around 2350+ with 36 gr of reloder7. Very explosive on milk jugs. I'm guessing it didn't penetrate to much.
Definitely not a home defense load but fun to shoot. I have my 12 gage loaded up for that and my M&P 45acp for back up.
35remington what powder where you using?
Oh and by the way I've read most of your threads on loading for the 35 rem. Grate stuff and a wealth of information.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
35remington, please expound on birdshot out of a 12 guage not being a good home defense load. I'd be interested to read what your opinion is. Thanx, jd45

·
Registered
994 Posts
This has got me thinking. There is a 35 for sale locally that is cheap. I was wondering about buying it and loading it like a 357. I wouldn't hunt with it, but just shoot for fun.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I haven't used the gold dots but Ive used 125 gr rem SPHC and have had good accuracy results, and they seemed to hit decent. Not 100% sure but I think I used varget...Im not sure. I'll look back and see what I can find for this load and get back to you. As far as home defence goes, I tell everyone before I give them advice on bullet selections and load ideas...you really need to have an idea on the kind of crime that takes place in your town/city and know your surroundings. For example, I live in a "city" but its really nothing more than a bigger town of less than 20,000 people and in the last 10 years Ive only heard of one break in where the home owner was immediately threatened or hurt and it was 2 teenaged kids planned the break in on a 70 year old man and beat him up a little bit. So for the people around here I tell them to think about it realisticly before they make any choices..I mean I don't know about all of you, but I wouldn't be to cool putting a slug in the chest of a dumb teenager looking to score a flat screen tv, would you? I mean im not saying worse couldn't happen but I live in a neighborhood where houses aren't right on top of eachother but close enough so you can hear whats going on, the chances of anyone breaking into my house while someones here is slim to none...its usually when your NOT home is when you have to worry. Im not saying don't protect yourself or belongings im just saying do it with some good sence without taking chances. Be smart, don't be out thought.

·
Super Moderator
5,548 Posts
The problem with birdshot is that it's tiny, and the penetration sucks. Even out of a very tight choke at close range. Try a shot at 7 yards sometime. 21 feet is a very possible distance inside a home, and the pattern is such that the shot penetrate individually at this range rather than en masse.

If the situation is desperate enough that you have to shoot someone, deliberately choosing less effective ammo seems like an unwise unilateral de escalation of force............and the guy might shoot back with something that isn't so compromised. If you're shooting birdshot, when not go to a beanbag round instead, or rubber buckshot? Maybe a taser? (Don't tase me Bro!).

I cannot see deliberately choosing ammo that will not work in some very possible situations. Remember he can shoot back as well, and allowing a gunfight to continue in your home because you selected less effective ammo increases the chance someone unintended will get shot. Because he doesn't care what direction he's shooting. It's not just your projectiles you have to worry about, but his as well. At least you can choose your direction of fire to some degree. Return fire will not be so discriminating.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Back in the early 70's in New Mexico, I loaded .357 pistol bullets in my 35 Rem Marlin. They did a number on coyote and prairie dogs......:biggrin:

Reactions: Time Bomb

·
Registered
141 Posts
35remington: I'm not suggesting bringing pepper spray to a gunfight, and believe me if someone unwelcome walks into my house with knife or firearm, game over. Im just expressing my concern to the hundreds of thousands of people over the last year that suddenly desided they where getting themselves a firearm to carry after watching the news. People that have shot or handled a firearm maybe a dozen times in there life walking around with a sidearm and no good sence on its use. A lot of us are naturals with firearms we all grew up with them in the house, and been around them sence kids, and have good sence and judgment, and our own tactical skills, and most of these people over the last year that's obtained all this arsenal have none of that, and I just hope one of those people don't walk into there garage some morning and put a bullet in the chest of some 15 year old kid that broke in to steal the change out of there center console because the paniced. That's like the saying goes, guns don't kill people, stupid people with guns kill people.

I'm pretty partial to the speer gold dots. I love speer bullets period, and speer is what I would put my trust into. Federal hydra-shock bullets are also pretty devastating, if you can find them.

·
Super Moderator
5,548 Posts
punk, we're both off topic to some degree, but the competence of a person wielding a firearm is beyond the scope of the discussion at hand. We don't have any evidence that the poster is incompetent and likely from his posting is not new to firearms. I will try to answer the question to the best of my ability and will resist pontificating further. I am not presuming to lecture everyone that has an interest in the topic nor am I qualified to judge their level of competence through internet communication as opposed to seeing it in person.

In this matter of familiarity with firearms we must keep our own counsel when communicating through such a forum. A decision to use a firearm for self defense obviously has grave consequences.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
punk, we're both off topic to some degree, but the competence of a person wielding a firearm is beyond the scope of the discussion at hand. We don't have any evidence that the poster is incompetent and likely from his posting is not new to firearms. I will try to answer the question to the best of my ability and will resist pontificating further. I am not presuming to lecture everyone that has an interest in the topic nor am I qualified to judge their level of competence through internet communication as opposed to seeing it in person.

In this matter of familiarity with firearms we must keep our own counsel when communicating through such a forum. A decision to use a firearm for self defense obviously has grave consequences.
If one is compelled to purchase a firearm for home defense, it would be wise to attend a self defense class of some sort. Many are put on by the local police or sheriff's dept. Knowing when one can use deadly force will go a long way to keep one out of trouble in court if deadly force has to be used. +1 rule........NEVER use hand loads for home defense. Prosecutors LOVE to paint the defendant (shooter) as a crazed gun owner assembling depleted uranium ammunition to maim and kill painfully. Advice from a retired detective who has worked many homicide cases and seen gun owners raked over the coals in court....

·
Super Moderator
6,563 Posts
To expound on Remington's earlier point a bit: There is a internet/gunshop myth that has been floating around forever that says that birdshot at close acts just like a single solid mass (slug), and has the same momentum/penetration, because the shot does not have time to spread out.

That is not true. Whether the shot stays tight or spreads, the momentum/penetration of each individual pellet is STILL the momentum/penetration of each individual pellet...which in the case of bird shot...is not much at all. It is not cumulative.

Likewise...(9) 00 (.33cal) Buck pellets (@ 1200fps for the sake of argument) are NOT THE SAME as shooting someone 9 times with a comparable caliber handgun....for any number of reasons...including but not limited to bullet construction/terminal ballistics, velocity, etc. Unless of course you are defending your home with (9) .33 smoothbore muzzleloading pistols...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts