Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this fine rifle at a local gun show. 1894 25-20 1895 YOM in decent shape. SERIAL #1185XX. Only 4 extra holes and the good news is they are not over the MARLIN SAFETY. 23-1/2" barrel and no half cock, most I have seen list the barrels as 24"? Blueing mostly turned to brown and some surface rust but not too bad. The bore is good with no visible pits just looks to be in need of a good scrubbing. Time to get dies, cases, powder and bullets and have some fun! While I wait I am going to give the barrel and action a good cleaning judging from the condition of the screws she probably was stripped down very few times. I had 1 round from my Dad's 25-20 so I did a quick test after I was done taking pics, I think I am going to like this rifle.
Now for the good stuff
:biggrin:
DSCN0694.JPG DSCN0695.JPG DSCN0696.JPG DSCN0697.JPG DSCN0698.JPG

·
Banned
457 Posts
congrats, the wood is so so beautiful with that aged patina.

enjoy

Reactions: Steve_In

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey there SI -- Nice old rifle. If you didn't know already, the four extra holes were for a Weaver style side scope mount. They are still available from Brownells, or get four matching plug screws and you're good to go!

You should still have a half cock. Might check and see if the hammer is gunked up.

Best regards. Wind

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey there SI -- Nice old rifle. If you didn't know already, the four extra holes were for a Weaver style side scope mount. They are still available from Brownells, or get four matching plug screws and you're good to go!

You should still have a half cock. Might check and see if the hammer is gunked up.

Best regards. Wind
There is a lot of gunk in the action. As near as I can tell there is no half cock. The trigger feels mushy so it may have been played with. I have seen MLR locks hang on the half cock so it may have been disabled.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Very nice, I'm more than a little envious of your find!

·
Banned
515 Posts
Beautiful gun, if Marlin came out with a 1894, 24 inch octagon barrel, beautiful wood in 25-20 with a full mag, I would be the first in line. Looks like they had their stuff together 119 years ago.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Beautiful gun! So what does something like that cost or did you steal it? :flute:

·
Premium Member
11,159 Posts
Steve,

NICE rifle!.........I believe you should "find" a 1/2 cock function after a good detail cleaning...It was there originally, and I can't imagine why it would be deleted. If the hammer has two hooks, its there, and maybe the sear is restricted by gunk.

Tom

·
Premium Member
12,126 Posts
Very nice rifle. I saw one a week ago in Ocala and it was the same caliber I believe. I don't know enough about them to know the value or even condition so I would not consider buying it for anywhere close to the $1500. price tag he had on it. I am sure they would have moved off of that some but even then with my lack of knowledge I would not gamble on it. I did take pictures though so I will post them just for the fun of it.

old Marlin 2.jpg old Marlin.jpg

·
Registered
8,701 Posts
Beautiful ol 1894! Sounds like a total tear down and cleaning is in order if there is no half cock and a mushy trigger. Also did you measure the barrel from the muzzle to the front of the bolt rather than where it meets the receiver? It does not appear to be cut down. Nice gun, nice round and a ton of fun!:congrats:

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Very nice, sounds like fun times ahead.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Very nice!

·
Registered
198 Posts

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Hi Steve, I also have a 1894, 25-20 made in 1900. Mine does have the half cock and a 24" barrel. One of my favorite Marlins to shoot, you'll love it I'm sure.

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
tell me about the flintlock.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts