Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this weight bullet may not be the best for accuracy but I have a bunch of them for plinking. Anyone have any recommended loads using IMR 4227 powder? I was thinking around 19 grains or so per the loading manuals. IMR suggests 21 compressed as the maximum but I generally try to be more conservative.

I just put on a new Lyman sight on my Marlin and am anxious to try it out.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also loads for Unique

I also have a lot of Unique powder so recommended loads with that would be appreciated.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I'd say forget the 4227 with that light of a bullet. :eek:

With Unique, a charge of 8-9 grains should give you a somewhat shootable load if it's only for plinking.

I've loaded for quite a few different 357 rifles, and revolvers. With all the countless combinations I've tried, I've still yet to get one to shoot 110g bullets worth a hoot compared to 125g+ bullets in 357 cases. I have gotten decent accuracy with 110g bullets using 38 cases though.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Primer?

Thanks for the reply. I will load up some with the Unique. Would a magnum primer be necessary for those loads or just a regular small pistol primer?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Standard primers will work OK, but I've gotten more consistant velocities, and accuracy from magnum primers when using Unique with lighter bullets.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts