Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres a time machine article on the 444. You may have to save as a picture and size up, or if someone can do it here.

Reactions: Ator

·
Registered
6,991 Posts
Excellent Starrbow!!! A buddy of mine swears by the tri-ball loads, but, unfortunately they cannot be used here for game that they would be suited to. Another friend swears 410 gauge shotshells can be used in the 444, but, I have not tried that yet. I make shotshells for my 44 Mags (Redhawks) from 444 cases. They hold about a half ounce of shot, and at 10 feet from a 4" barrel produce a very nice pattern. I would guess that about 15 feet or so would be max usable range for vermin, snake, and small game. I would like to play with the authors shotshell data and see what they would do in one of my 444's, and maybe use Speer shot capsules without the "cap" (that would add to the shot charge weight), to see if I could get them to feed from the magazine...............anyway, this article is a good one, and adding to what the author stated, the heavier bullets available for the 444 these days only betters its usefulness and viability as a one gun... all game hunting system.

·
Premium Member
1,455 Posts
Interesting, but what year was the 10th edition?

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
4F powder is commonly used in the pan for priming powder for flintlocks. DP

·
Super Moderator
15,825 Posts
I'll go and read it, but wanted to jump in to say...hold down the Ctrl button and use your scroll on the mouse, article will enlarge or get smaller depending on which way you scroll. Mr fixit

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
dpe. and Flat Top, thanks for the responses about FFFFg. Re-cycling primers? Interesting concept.

On another note. In my opinion, a .22LR is the best survival rifle in th lower 48 states. The time and energy it takes to turn a big animal into food is possibly greater than the amount of time and energy it takes to get to a road. The northern parts of Alaska and Canada have expanses that are great enough to justify the survival strategy to hunker down. As far as I know, the most remote places in the lower 48 are no more than 2 or 3 days walk from a road. Along the way, I'd be eating squirels, rabbits, birds, and whatever little tasty critter that I cross paths with.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Two things;
First, thank you Starrbow, what a great read.
Second, mr fixit, thanks for the tip. Never a day goes
by that I don't learn something new, no matter how
hard I try ;)

·
Registered
521 Posts
mr fixit,

screen magnification: you can also hold down the CTRL key and press the + key to enlarge, and the - key to go smaller.

Cheers,

Carl

·
Super Moderator
15,825 Posts
375Win said:
mr fixit,

screen magnification: you can also hold down the CTRL key and press the + key to enlarge, and the - key to go smaller.

Cheers,

Carl
Ain't that something! Didn't know that. Mr fixit

·
Registered
245 Posts
Very neat, Starrbow....I remember that article now, but it took me a while to drag it out of the little gray cells. I might still have the book stuck away if the termites haven't gotten to it. Far out. Talk about yesteryear...hahahahahahah

LUCK

·
Registered
9 Posts
Great article! Thanks for sharing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts