Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've zeroed the 1895 @ 50 yards and may not have the opportunity to check POI @ 100yards. Does anyone have any experience how high of a hold is required?

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
Are you shooting with a scope or open sights?

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
You've left a number of variables undefined, let me see if I can cover most of them...

Assuming open sights, and a 0.458 diameter bullet weighing 405 gr, with ballistic coefficient about 0.30, zeroed at 50 yards.

Muzzle velocity of 1300 fps, the bullet will be 4.8" below line of sight at 100 yards
Muzzle velocity of 1500 fps, the bullet will be 3.5" below line of sight at 100 yards

However, if we change the zero to 100 yards:

Muzzle velocity of 1300 fps, the bullet will be 2.4" above line of sight at 50 yards
Muzzle velocity of 1500 fps, the bullet will be 1.7" above line of sight at 50 yards

·
Premium Member
16,956 Posts
Hey K,

What Dr. Mike says.

Get you some 5" paper plates. At 50 yds, "hold" on the bottom of the plate. If the bullet strike is "above" center, all is good.

On game, with a rifle sighted this way, put your front sight in the "middle" of the shoulder. Meat locker "full".

Later, Mark

Reactions: kwesi

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! I will be using a scope (1.25x4 30mm). Bullet diameter is .459. Can you run those numbers again DrMike? I called Lasercast today & asked the bullet coefficient but they did not have that information. Thx.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey K,

What Dr. Mike says.

Get you some 5" paper plates. At 50 yds, "hold" on the bottom of the plate. If the bullet strike is "above" center, all is good.

On game, with a rifle sighted this way, put your front sight in the "middle" of the shoulder. Meat locker "full".

Later, Mark
With which zero yardage?

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
if you zero it at 50 yards, it will be about 4" low at 100 yards. If you sight it in to shoot about 2" high at 50 yards, it will be dead on at 100 yards.

This assumes 1330'/second and a BC of 0.281.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Thanks! I will be using a scope (1.25x4 30mm). Bullet diameter is .459. Can you run those numbers again DrMike? I called Lasercast today & asked the bullet coefficient but they did not have that information. Thx.
The numbers won't change with a 0.459" vs 0.458" bullet. The ballistic coefficient is going to be somewhere between 0.28-0.31, and the numbers don't change an awful lot in that range.

Tatersoup has it right - adjust your sights, iron or scope, to be 2" high at 50 yards and you'll be close enough to zeroed at 100 yards. Don't get tied up in the calculated numbers, they leave too much out to be gospel. They give you a good, but not perfect, indication of how things work. Don't forget that you can "miss" up to nearly a half-inch and still hit perfectly with a .45 caliber bullet..

Reactions: msharley

·
Premium Member
16,956 Posts
With which zero yardage?
Hey K,

At the 50 yd line, put the "horizontal" reticle "bar" at the bottom of the 5" paper plate. If your bullet strikes are at or above "center", of the 5" paper plate, you will be 2-1/2" to 3" high, at 50 yds. Dead on, at 100 yds.

No ruler, no measuring. As long as you keep the "crosshair" on the animal, you "own" it.

Later, Mark

1 - 10 of 10 Posts