Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any preference out there among the experts for 3 groove vs 1 groove 405 grainers in 45 70?

Is there any less leading with the 3 groove boolits or is it a matter of what the individual rifle prefers? Seems as if there would be more lube on the 3 groovers, but then they are also about 15% more expensive from the suppliers that cast them.

Anybody add extra lube to commercial cast bullets?

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Ha! Honestly, never shopped by number of "grooves" before, figured that if theres at least 1 I'm good to go! Not sure it makes any difference except for the depth your bullet seats!
From the left:
147gr 9mm
350gr .45
405gr .45
405gr Rem JSP .45
530gr with gc .45
480gr .45
560gr .45 with gc
630gr .45 (yes that's 5 grooves)

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
It really is a matter of the lube. I prefer the soft lubes on my own cast bullets even though they dry out over time.
A lot of it depends upon bearing surface and the width of the groove. A wide groove holds more lube. You can see the difference in the pics posted.
You can call the caster and ask him. He will likely have a suggestion as to max velocity for the particular bullet.
Most likely, it won't matter-

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Well boys -- Grooves are grooves. I like the green lube! Tastes great, less filling...

View attachment 96628

Best regards. Wind
Hey Wind
Is that WWL (Winds Wonder Lube) on them Boolits? :hmmmm: ........ I'm in the process of getting into casting and was going to look for that recipe for the boolits I will cast myself...
Will be casting for 30cal, 44mag/spl & of course 45-70... :biggrin:

Thanks
BloodGroove4570

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
I Like the 2 groove.... Here is a pic of my cast 405gr
405gr.jpg Same nose profile as all of my other boolits from the 350 up to the 535

Doc

·
Registered
91 Posts
Now , that's a fine looking boolit, Doc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts