Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curiuous as to how heavy a bullet I can shoot in my 223 with 1 and 9 twist. The rifle is a XCR Tactical Rem 700 with 20 inch barrel. It has the 40x trigger. I got this gun from my boy who has owned it about a year and know absolutely nothing about the way it shoots. It has a 3.5x10 Long Range Leupold on it in some super strong mount and ring system. I was wondering if 70 grain bullets would work. I wish it was in 308 caliber instead of 223.

Regards
Horseshoe.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I have an FN TSRUSA and it is 1 in 9, I have only shot 64 gr fusions out of it (I bought a thous bullets) and though the velocity is not gonna make a 22-250 feel insecure it shoots good.

I'm gonna take baby steps moving down in weight to see what it will handle. I still want another 223 in 12 or 14, but you never know, you have to shoot em and find out. It may be that the 1 in 9 will handle the smaller bullets too.

·
Registered
504 Posts
don't regret the 223, I was scared of mine because the case was so small and the neck so small but I bought a funnel and some Lee dippers and a special loading tray so they wouldn't fall over and I was in business.

another good thing about 223 is the range brass is plentiful. I don't even have a primer pocket swager, I haven't had too much of a problem. I could tell some primer pockets were crimped but not too bad. I have the odd ball problem child piece of brass that gets tossed.

I'm probably gonna kill a deer with mine this year. I just can't imagine that a good 64 gr soft point bullet through the boiler room is not gonna have a happy ending. :eek:

·
Registered
583 Posts
For my Savage 10PC .223, I've been reloading using 69g projectiles and they've been fine. Wouldn't go heavier than that with 1:9 twist. .223 is really a great caliber for getting improving one's long range shooting accuracy ... give it a go!

·
Banned
244 Posts
I shoot the Sierra 65gr Gameking bullet in my 1-9 and get superb accuracy. Anything much heavier than that may not stabilize in the 1-9. FRJ

·
Registered
291 Posts
To OP, I had a Rem 5-R .223, 1:9 It would shoot up to 64-65gr bullets with acceptable accuracy, meaning, a respectable group but I did not work up a tack driver load. The rifle seemed to throw a flyer with every bullet I tried. So I sold the gun. I have AR's. One has a 1:9 and the other a 1:7. To shoot anything 68gr and up, requires 1:8, 1:7 twist. To everyone, I personally have given up hunting anything that weighs over 50lbs with .22 bullet. I have lost deer that I know were shot TWICE through the boiler from no more than 60yds!! Guitar Hero, you may or may not have a happy ending. Ethically I just can not see using this round for large game. You all may be able to make head shots....OK. I know a lot of people even hunt hogs with AR's!! I can't justify it. I wont do it. I believe in "Bring enough gun to get it done, even if everything goes wrong!" That's just me and my $.02 To each his own.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
I built a 223 Rem on a Savage action with a fluted 26" heavy barrel, 1 in 9 twist. The heaviest I can shoot accurately is a 75 grain A-Max. The 80 gr SMK and A-Max are not accurate in that twist. My son now has the rifle but I still load his ammunition. He's able to shoot into an inch at 200 yards with the 75 gr A-Max.

Tom

·
Registered
163 Posts
Usually 1/9 are good for 69 , 70grain bullets. But thats about as heavy as it gets. Back in the day when I shot high power service rifle it was Varget and 69 gr match kings. Seems like I was loading 25 grs...I would have to find my old load book to verify this.

Found my old data book. 26.5 gr of varget under a 69 gr match king or Berger.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I have a Savage 12BVSS with a 1 in 9". 69gn SMK's and Vhit N140 are giving me around an inch at 200. I even took it out to 800 and it stayed sub-MOA. But, my Savage won't shoot anything heavier but seems to like 53gn Hornady's as well....

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
IIRC 1:9 is good for up to about 62 gr. Hey, ya don't know 'til ya try it though. All rifles have a bit of individual personality. Shoot the 70's and see how they work. If not so good, back it down some. Either way, you're shootin'.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Barrel length makes a difference too. My 1:9 stabilizes 69gr SMK just fine. I have checked for key holing out to 200 yards with no evidence of it. Keep in mind just because it says 1:9 doesn't mean it is exact. I have checked some and some read 1:9.2 and some have measured 1:8.75. Each rifle is different. You just need to try and see what happens. Hell I have a friend who has a 1:9 that stabilizes 75 gr.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts