Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My little Ruger showed up yesterday, chambered in .257 Bob. I'm torn on mounting optics on but do have a lonely 2.5X8X36 sitting downstairs, first range trip will be on the irons and see what my tired old eyes say. With the price for new brass, I thought I'd just get some factory cartridges but they proved to be a bit tough to turn up in town, I did get my grubby mitts on a few boxes though. I will definitely load up on brass for the Roberts.......

5B34AFF8-D728-4E93-A92F-FE7CC4871CA4.jpeg

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Great looking rifle and a "257bob" to boot...a real classic. Just be sure the end cap is not touching the barrel before sighting the rifle in.

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
Gorgeous little rifle. And stainless too. Great caliber.

GunBroker often has your caliber in new brass. I found it looking for 7x57mm. There's usually more Bob than Mauser brass offered.You may even be able to use 6mm Rem and size up or 7x57 and size down.

I ended up having to make my 7x57 from .270 Win brass and doing a lot of trimming. Haven't needed to neck turn though. Neck brass not too thick, it turned out. You may find the same. Not sure what would happen if you squeezed .270 down to .257, though. It might end up too thick. But even if you needed to neck turn, it's an easy conversion. Tons of .270 brass around.

·
Super Moderator
11,601 Posts
Nice. I nearly bought one of those last year that had a nicely figured stock but didn't want to get into yet another caliber to load for. Interested to see how it shoots though.

·
Super Moderator
23,479 Posts
I have two rifles in 257 Roberts
One is a custom built 257 Ackley
The other is a model 722 rem
I’ve taken lots of game with the green rifle

Attachments

·
Registered
623 Posts
dak47 -
That's a good looking rifle and the cartridge is a definite classic!
I found & bought a Ruger Hawkeye in .257 Roberts last year, but was unable to find any ammunition or brass in my AO. I did find ammunition on line and ended up buying a case of Hornady ammunition loaded with 117 gr. SST bullets.
Send me a PM and I'll share my source if you're interested.

WYT-P
Skyhunter

·
Registered
278 Posts
:adore::adore::adore::adore::adore::adore::adore::adore::adore::adore::adore::adore::adore::adore::adore::adore::adore::adore::adore::adore::adore::adore::adore::adore::adore:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Y'all for the kind comments.....

Couldn’t help myself, I had the scope for over 2 years before breaking the cellophane. Have to see about a set of lower rings.... It is set way back but when you throw it up at 2.5X it is perfect with both eyes open. Skyhunter, thanks for the offer but The rifle is at my Canadian home so.... I have a 300 count on the brass now and counting!

59AE2181-B593-4AFC-9EAC-12F9069505FF_1_201_a.jpeg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts