• 1 Post By maki00
  • 1 Post By Mike 2010
  • 1 Post By Mark Risch
  • 1 Post By mrguvna

Thread: Couple refinish questions

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Couple refinish questions

I have a question and am looking for some advice/guidance.

I'll give a run down of what I have going on. I bought the curly maple marlin stock set knowing I was going to strip it and refinish it with Aquafortis and either BLO or Tung Oil. I have made knives with curly maple in the past and have used BLO, and liked the outcome, but I know a lot of people are using Tung Oil. I haven't fully decided what to do yet in that regards.

It is currently stripped, and man that was a pain to get the finish off. After it was stripped I rinsed it off with soap and water, and dried it off with paper towel. I am currently letting it air dry more before I get to work on it.

I am going to get rid of the checkering on it all, and thin the forearm. Once it is together so to speak I will figure out if I can thin the butt stock or not, but I don't think I can.

The Citristrip I used ate away the Marlin Bullseye. No big deal I'll just replace it once I can finish getting it out of the hole. They lacquered over the pistol grip cap and everything. I couldn't get it off so the Citristrip ate away part of it too. That's not a huge deal; I ordered another of those as well.

My question I guess I should say two fold:

1 - Will the Aquafortis eat away at the Bullseye? I figure that I once I get the old one fully out I can test the Aquafortis on it to see, but I figured I would ask. I won't be putting the grip cap on while I'm finishing it. It will be after I'm done.

2 - Will either BLO or Tung Oil discolor the Bullseye? Once again I can test this once the old on is out.

3 - I have been thinking of possibly bedding the forearm and the buttstock. I am guessing this should be done before I use the Aquafortis and oil it since it probably won't adhere all to well to it?

I appreciate any advice given on this. Thanks.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I would install the new bulleye and grip cap "after" the new finish is on & dried. imo, gives it a cleanier look (like painting a car.. put the emblems/ trim on after the car is painted. )

Yes, if you're going to bed it do it before you apply the new finish. That way the new finish doesn't get messed up if something oozes out or drips onto the new finish.
    DanR7985 likes this.

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    If I were you I would PM rjtmac on here he is the restore master IMO.
    mrguvna likes this.
    What this country needs is a department of common sense!
    Team 22 Magnum # 46
    Team Old Pharts # 235
    Team 22 bolt action # 5

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Don't worry about the bulls eye, just replace it. No big deal. Aquafortis is good stuff. I scratch build black powder rifles and use it. My advise is to heat up the stock before you apply it. Use the higher area in your garage. I put Marlin stocks in the oven at 100 degrees for about an hour. Flood it, heat it with a paint gun, real gentle. Use a water rub to test for what it will look like with finish. I do not use BLO on stocks. I like Lin-Speed. Follow the directions. Once again, I get the stock warm, it is amazing how deep it will go it. The heat method works for BLO. After it is all finished, new bulls eye. Midway USA for a couple of bucks. You will get two out of the one they send you.
    DanR7985 likes this.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I don't use chemical strippers on fine wood. I would use 200 grit sand paper and lightly sand until the finish is off. Some of those strippers can leave behind residue that may interfere with whatever stain or coating you are going to use. As you can see the stirpper actaully ate away your plastic parts.
    DanR7985 likes this.
    WHEN THE PEOPLE FEAR THE GOVERNMENT THERE IS TYRANNY, WHEN THE GOVERNMENT FEARS THE PEOPLE , THERE IS LIBERTY......... Thomas Jefferson

life member NRA

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links