Staining Over BLO Finish?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mommicked

Thread: Staining Over BLO Finish?

Sidewinder
    Member #

Staining Over BLO Finish?

Merry Christmas, everyone, hope Santa was good to all you Marlinites!

I am redoing a 1978-manufactured 1894. I sanded down the furniture, used Minwax "Gunstock"-color stain, and have put several coats of BLO to finish...but the more I look at the finish, the more I wish it were a little more red-brown, as well as a little darker.

Question: Is it possible to add a little mahogany or cherry, etc. stain to a little more gunstock-color, and rub it in to the BLO finish without re-stripping everything and starting over again? I know I could not stain over a varnish, but thought the BLO would be porous enough to allow it. Any of y'all ever done the above (or something similar)?

Thanks, and HAPPY NEW YEAR!
    "We Dare Defend Our Rights"
    Alabama State Motto

Gun Wizard
    Member #

re: Staining Over BLO Finish?

This may blow your mind, but it will work so well you'll just have to try it to believe it. Get thyse'f some Fiebing's leather stain. It will successfully stain over a finished gun stock (or any other piece of wood or leather). A bottle runs $5-10, and would do dozens of stocks, pistol grips, knife handles, etc.

You can find it at some old timey shoe shops that repair leather shoes, or order if from a knife makers supply or leather working supply house, like Tandy.

You might order a few different shades, darker and lighter, but make sure it's the Fiebings. Some of the new wonder finishes don't cover over wood for some reason. You can apply the stuff with the little dobber that comes with it, a cotton ball, or clean rag.

If it gets on yer fingers, it will still be on yer fingers come Sunday. Wear gloves if you don't want to show up t' church with red/brown fingers! It also accidentally stains the kitchen table, carpet, linoleum, and lots of other things the Mrs. may not want stained to match your gun stock. Be warned!

PS-you can use the black stain to very nicely darken matte, sand blasted, or frosted looking stainless. It won't stick to polished stainless, but it will permanently stain about anything else.
    StikkerShokK likes this.
    Gun Control is a Liberal Hate Crimes against Good Ole Boys.
    Introduce a kid or neighbor to hunting or shooting.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Good advice. Another method is Analine Dye from most any woodworkers shop. Dye can be mixed to match, I use medium brown and mahogany and mix to desired shade. It can be mixed with alcohol or water but be warned it goes a very long way. As Mommicked says above don't get it on you unless you want to wear it. So either product will work (and they may be the same with different names) so you have two options.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gun Wizard
    Member #

JBledsoe,
    I -think- the Fiebings is an anline (sp?) dye. The newer, environmentally friendly dye by Tandy is NOT. It won't even stain your fingers. Since I plan on using the dye on leather, wood, and the like, rather than pouring it into my septic tank, I don't worry too much about the stuff being bad for the environment. I use what I need and the rest stays in the bottle (usually)(unless the cat knocks the bottle over when I'm not looking).

But yep, it can be mixed to 'blend' colors, or thinned and it do go a long way. I like picking a color as close as possible to my desired color and using it as is, unmixed. That way, I can touch it up if I can remember the color later on, lol.

Member #

Try it on scrap wood first. If you get too much on it's done, very hard to get off.
    It works great but start with very diluted mix and increase slowly.

Sidewinder
    Member #

Hey, Mommicked and JBledsoe,

I have my Fiebings dye and the 1894 stock will be my first project of the New Year. One more question: I have several coats of BLO over a Minwax stain. Would you recommend going over the stock and forearm with 0000 steel wool prior to applying the dye? Also, have got my color down pat (2 parts medium brown and 1 part mahogany) and have tried it on scrap wood. Boy! I have to be fast to smooth it out or it stays full strength on the wood! Did you say alcohol will cut it down? Or would mineral spirits or acetone work better?

Again, many thanks! Hope your teams all win tomorrow (unless you are pulling for Michigan State against Alabama!)

Happy New Year!

Marlinmounter
    "We Dare Defend Our Rights"
    Alabama State Motto

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by marlinmounter
    Would you recommend going over the stock and forearm with 0000 steel wool prior to applying the dye?
    Not at all necessary. And this stuff doesn't seem to rub off either.

[/quote] Also, have got my color down pat (2 parts medium brown and 1 part mahogany) and have tried it on scrap wood. Boy! I have to be fast to smooth it out or it stays full strength on the wood! Did you say alcohol will cut it down? Or would mineral spirits or acetone work better?
    Happy New Year! Marlinmounter[/quote]

[/quote] I bought some Fiebings thinner where I got the dye. It helps to keep it from getting too dark. The unthinned dye seems rather dark on leather sometimes. Use long, even strokes, and work it back and forth to keep things even.[/quote]

You might try thinning some of it with rubbing alcohol and try on your scrap wood to see how it works.
    Last edited by Travis 186; 11-27-2011 at 07:45 PM.

Member #

I thin it down a lot, Maybe add six parts thinner to your three parts dye. Then you can apply it slower. The first coat will not be dark enough and I just keep applying additional coats until it is dark enough. Don't forget to let it dry before making your final decision. That's why I use alcohol thinners, it dries faster. CAUTION, I have never used alcohol on a BLO finish, it could react.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links