Stirring things up! - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree109Likes

Thread: Stirring things up!

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Howdy from Tennessee. I taught my wife and both our daughters to shoot rifle, pistol and a little shotguns. If you have any common sense at all you can pick up on shooting in just a little while.

One thing you might learn about handloading is that you can also "download" cartridges that don't bounce you around with recoil so bad as $60 a box of 20 elephant killers. The NRA used to put out a list of certified handloading instructors. If you live near a larger gun club, you might want to check and see what they have to offer. Some clubs offer classes to beginner loaders. Usually you can get your hands on real hardware and see what these expensive (or not) pieces of precision machinery are made for. If you think you might be serious about giving it a try, I might suggest getting a handloading manual like the latest Lyman's Manual. I think Lyman's are very good because they have listings for jacketed bullets as well as cast. They aren't trying to sell you their brand of powder, bullets or primers. They don't even sell those items. If you get one, PLEASE read the safety section twice before reading the section on setting up. Powder and primers are safe as can be, as purchased. But proper storage can help keep them in that condition. Also make a "set in concrete" rule that nobody smokes in the room where powder and primers are stored / used. It can be a safe and very invigorating hobby if everything is done correctly. I figured out a long time ago that it's better than laying on a shrinks couch and talking to hear my head roar.

Good luck and be careful. If I can help in any way, please PM me.
    F150Grrl likes this.
    Victor NRA Life Member
    Team 45-70 member #1581
    Team Old "Pharts" # 336

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Welcome from Michigan, good to see the ladies getting involved with shooting sports.
    Victor N TN likes this.
    Team 45-70 Member #946
    Team Old Pharts #160
    Team 1894 #350

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links