Woman shooters - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree133Likes

Thread: Woman shooters

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Sorted my daughter's license when she turned 12 which is as young as they can start shooting where I am in Australia and have let her decide what she wants to do at her own pace since then.

Taught her the basics with a rimfire, as well as she shoots I think it is belief or confidence in her own ability that holds her back.

Would have been around 14 before she decided she was ready to try hunting rabbits. It was after we had spent a day shooting at cans etc. end on and she was hitting them consistently with the HMR out to 150 yds. Got her first rabbit that afternoon at a bit under 100 yds. The next day we gave her a go with my Swift and she was consistently hitting 2" gong at 300 yds. She got her 2nd rabbit with the Swift later that day at a touch over 300 yds.

Another shooter asked if she wanted a shot of his rifle and she took him up...

6aca5602.jpg

She's not a small girl about 5'9", the rifle is massive 408 Cheytac necked down and improved, she hit the gong first shot.

She is now quite confident hunting small game and asks to go hunting occasionally. Trying to build her confidence with target shooting, she came along to a range weekend a month back and finished 2nd in a 200m rimfire match. Only her brother ahead of her so beating 30+ adults should do her confidence wonders.
    Last edited by Dawei; 09-15-2017 at 06:19 PM.

Distinguished Master
    Dixie, the confederate states of america in woods of S.C.
    Member #
    I got to tell you Ron, that is a funny looking marlin she is shooting..............
    Quote Originally Posted by ron in swpa View Post
    822-1 mix 004.JPG
    My Daughter shooting in Columbia County Sheriff Office Georgia.
    Last edited by Dawei; 09-15-2017 at 06:19 PM.
    farmboy likes this.
    I have never harvested an animal but I have KILLED QUITE A FEW !

I would rather have a gun in my hand than a cop on the phone,,,,,,,,,

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    I taught my first wife to shoot. I used to shoot so much skeet, that she once gave me an ultimatum - me or the skeet shooting, had to go.

What was I to do? Teach her, of course. Bought her a Remington Model 1100 LT .20 ga., cut the stock down so it would fit her - all 85 lbs, 4', 10 1/2" of her.

That was in '75. She still shoots, occasionally. She was cross-dominant but worked through it.

I even asked her, recently, that if she ever decided to part with the LT 20, I wanted first dibs on it.

I know I won't ever get a response back. That's a good thing - for her.

Gr8rtst.
    USAF 1973-77 - Served proudly & Honorably
    NRA Life/Endowment Member - American Legion member
    "A knight in tarnished armor " - born in the USA . . . so, I guess that makes me a 'native American'.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Here is a couple of pics of my baby girl shooting her Ruger P90 and my 1894 C.
    IMG_0683.JPGIMG_0689.JPG
    Last edited by Dawei; 09-15-2017 at 06:21 PM.
    Ret_Eng, OLSKOOL and lever30 like this.

Distinguished Master
    Dixie, the confederate states of america in woods of S.C.
    Member #
    IMG_3156old barn-2.jpgjune&dog.jpg
    This is my wife, I use her photo in my avatar. That is a Uberti 45 long colt she was holding, "not the dog" I posted this photo a wile back and had one nut go wild about her pointing a loaded gun at me! I explained to him that the gun had projectiles in de-primed empty cases and that they now make a remote cable release and the camera was on a tripod. Back in the day, I did some professional photography. I guess he thought I was some idiot taking a photo of my wife pointing a loaded gun at me while I snapped the photo with a cell phone, and yes she shoots, mostly 38s and hunts deer with a 243 Rem model 600 Mohawk...
    Last edited by Dawei; 09-15-2017 at 06:24 PM.
    Reload and lever30 like this.
    I have never harvested an animal but I have KILLED QUITE A FEW !

I would rather have a gun in my hand than a cop on the phone,,,,,,,,,

Sidewinder
    Member #
    A few more first for my daughter this weekend. Had our annual camping get together that she shot the cheytac in the pic at a few years ago.
    Decided to have a go with my 240wby, on the 300y gong first shot and then tried for a weatherby eyebrow during a varminting session. Good thing the sightron it wears has a nice soft eyepiece.
    Decided to step up from the 410 to bigger, tried my 20ga and then one of the other blokes put a 12ga in her hands and threw a clay for her, smoked it first shot. Had a shot with her brothers 375H&H, 30y off hand a hit a clay first shot.
    She is actually turning into quite a good shooter, only 30y with the H&H but the size of the cases and the recoil most expect on their first shot usually effects most first timers. Next shot a few minutes later was at the thrown clay with the 12gauge and then someone sat her down at a bench with a 300WM and she put her first shot from it on the 300y gong. Prior to the weekend she hadn't shot a rifle bigger than 25cal without a break and the only shotgun she had used was 410.
    To do what she did on 3 consecutive shots that demand entirely different skills was quite impressive.

The only blemish on her shooting for the weekend was a missed fox with the 20ga during a hastily organised drive. Didn't give it quite enough lead and shot behind, the fox had already been missed by 2 12ga shooters by the time it arrived at our position. It was certainly moving rapidly so an easy mistake to make.
    lever30 and curan like this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links