Finally shot the '94 winny

Contributing Member
    Member #

Finally shot the '94 winny

Well, I finally made it to the range today to shoot my 1952 model '94. The gun handles great, feeds great, and ejects great. I shot 10 rounds of 150gr. Remington round nose at 50 yds. I cannot say I was too satisfied with my results. They were scattered over an area of 8" diameter. This is from a rest. I am going to try again with Federal 150gr. flat nose later and also the Hornady leverevolutions. I am not going to judge this rifle's shooting capabilities until I try all the different types and grains. Open to any suggestions for factory bullets.

On a different note, my 13 year old daughter found it to kick too hard for her slight frame. The steel butt plate did leave bruising and some tears. I initially bought this gun for her to hunt deer with me. I hope this does not turn her off to it.

Andrew
    The Gene Pool is in need of a lot of Chlorine!

Better yet, drain the entire pool!

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Remington makes reduced recoil 125gr soft points that she might lke a little better. Don't know how they'll shoot out of your rifle, but worth a shot!

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I will check into that round.

Thanks,

Andrew

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by marlinluvr View Post
    Remington makes reduced recoil 125gr soft points that she might lke a little better. Don't know how they'll shoot out of your rifle, but worth a shot!
    The managed recoil Remington ammo does work, and might still be adequate for a starter deer hunting round. Would a recoil pad make the rifle too big for her?

Banned
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by alawrence View Post
    I was too satisfied with my results. They were scattered over an area of 8" diameter. This is from a rest.
    That is a huge group. None of my rifles shoot that large a group, with any/every ammo choice. I think there is a problem in some way having to do with the rifle.

Did you clean the bore thoroughly? Did you try cleaning for copper fouling, after cleaning for carbon fouling?

I periodically loosen my barrel bands, sliding them forward then oiling the area's of contact; then reinstalling them making sure the band nearest the muzzle keeps the tube magazine directly under the barrel.
    I think that helps when the barrel heats from use.

I sure hope you get everything ironed-out!

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Swampdude,

As the rifle is the stock is slightly long. I have been searching for an aftermarket synthetic stock that would have a shorter LOP. Anybody know of any youth size stocks for a '94?

Win 94
    The rifle was professionally cleaned by a cert. gunsmith. The barrel was mirror bright when I got it back. I will try moving things on the bands and see what happens. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Andrew

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    Did you let the barrel cool down or did you shoot all 10 shots in one string? Was the barrel on the rest or the forearm? Just asking.

Try different brands of ammo and see what it likes. Also during hunting season your daughter may be wearing a heavier coat and have some extra padding

Good luck with it.. and keep it fun for your daughter.
    Team .38-55 #36
    Team .45-70 #112
    Team 1894 #105
    Team .30-30 #617

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Guys,

I loosened the distal barrel band. It was exceptionally tight. I also loosened the spacing screw under the muzzle. That was extremely tight. I then tightened them lightly. It was a huge difference. At the range I shot some more 150 Rem. round nose. It was a closer pattern than before but definitely spread beyond satisfaction. I then shot federal flat nose 150 gr. Groups tightened to 3" at 50 yds. These were three shot strings with cool down between strings. The final string I shot with the feds. actually had two holes touching with the third off by 2 inches. This is from a bench rest with the semi buckhorn sights. I hope to try leverevolutions next week.

I am wondering if things need to loosen up from use. This rifle probably sat in a safe for decades. I think it may be possible that the barrel just needs to break in.

Thanks,
    Andrew

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    alawrence
    Dont worry too much about the stock length, think more about your daughters shoulder,get a recoil pad. Next year she will have grown another 4 " and it wont matter one bit. That size groupe with the FEDS. at 50 is OK with open sights and you never know your daughter might have better eyes than you and once she is not scared of getting beat up by the metal but plate she might just out shoot you. Good luck, enjoy your shooting with your daughter.

GUS

Wrangler
    Member #
    The slip-on recoil pads are effective and cheap

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links