Winchester 1886
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By gunnut

Thread: Winchester 1886

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Winchester 1886

I very recently bought a new Winchester 86 short rifle in 45-70, I donít have it in my possession yet because being in commiefornia I must wait ten days but when doing the paperwork on Friday the rifle was there and I noticed how dried out the wood looked. Iíve head some say it has an oil finish on those guns, I donít thing it has any finish at all. Anyone out there buy one of these over the past few years? If it has a finish Iíd love to know what it is. Other than the tang safety and rebounding hammer itís a very nice gun.deep dark blueing and the wood was fitted well to the receiver , just curious about the finish. I might rub some blo into it once I have it..
    rx7dryver and JMAG54 like this.
    Nra Life Member, 101st airborne Vietnam 1968-1970

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    Hey gunnut ....................wood/finish expertise is not my thing. That said, yes, my new 1886 and 1885 are a 'oil' type finish unlike my earlier high gloss Browning 1886 and 85. Whatever the exact finish is, you are going to love everything about it, unbelievable craftsmanship. ................when I get time, and or win the lotto, there are a few known craftsmen that can expertly remove the tang and rebound.

Member #
    Thanks , I have the browning also fortunately it came without the tang safety and rebounding hammer. The finish that came on the browning looked like an epoxy type of finish. I bought another aftermarket stock and finished and fit it myself. I’ll deal with the Winchester just curious about the wood on this one.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Jmag, what kind of oil do you think they use, linseed, tung??

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links