What qualifies as wilderness?

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

When hunting, I consider it detrimental to the experience if I hear jet aircraft flying over. Then there are the people who consider wilderness to be anyplace where there is more than 50 yards distance between houses and no four-star restaurant or valet parking. What really torques me is when these people find what they consider "wilderness", they behave as if they have been granted freedom from adherence to any laws of God, man, or common sense with no concern whatever for whose property they abuse or destroy. So, when we talk about "wilderness living", what is wilderness?
    Some profess that they "aim to please". On the contrary, it pleases me to aim.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Not a lot of it left these days. I interpret it as a place where you have to be totally self reliant as know one can get to you in an emergency, outback in Australia, parts of Alaska, parts of Africa, all come to mind. The film with the gentleman built his home on the lake front out of logs and shot his own meat, grew his own vegitables, and only contact was by the occassional seaplane that came in, can't think of his name right now. He was in the wilderness.
    BOT GBUSA, Charter member team 444.
    Life member NRA, Life member WAC.

Wrangler
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Sure-Shot
    Not a lot of it left these days. I interpret it as a place where you have to be totally self reliant as know one can get to you in an emergency, outback in Australia, parts of Alaska, parts of Africa, all come to mind. The film with the gentleman built his home on the lake front out of logs and shot his own meat, grew his own vegitables, and only contact was by the occassional seaplane that came in, can't think of his name right now. He was in the wilderness.
    Stan Price is one. He had his wife Edna with him out there at Windfall Harbor when my dad and uncle had their logging camp and we'd go visit them by open boat. I did a quick internet search to see what was there on him and found:
    I count an old friend, Stan Price, the "bear man of Admiralty Island," among these gifted people. For 40 years, Stan lived in a floathouse on a salmon stream in a wild area where grizzlies were plentiful from spring through fall. Bears commonly walked all around his walkways, through his woodshed and toolshed -- even on occasion hibernating under his house. Just like Tim, he gave them names and considered them friends. Deer came inside his cabin to rest on his bunk. Marten and mink, considered arch enemies, fed from pans in his kitchen.

Stan's behavior around bears and other animals wasn't by the book, and if he had been killed by a bear, there are those who would have criticized his choices too. There is a heightened risk to living amid bears, but this man embraced it, and by his attitude and actions influenced thousands of visitors to care more about bears. The place is now officially called the Stan Price State Game Sanctuary.

http://www.wolfsongalaska.org/news/A...events_212.htm

This was in the 1960's, well, my dad and uncle knew him since they were in their EARLY 20's! But I can attest to the deer on the bed part as me and my little brother used to hang out with the deer in the livingroom and we once had a photo (where'd it go??) of me, dad, and my brother laying on the bed with our heads leaning against the deer, who was also looking at the camera.

This deer's name was Buddy and he acted every bit like a big ol' pet dog.

He was shot by a hunter eventually, even though he wore a red collar with bells on it.

Stan and Edna were wilderness livers for sure, and I was too, seasonally anyway. But I wasn't old enough to have to work too hard at 'being there.'

. . . . so yes, I love S.E. Alaska and always will.

Nowadays, I venture into the WILDERNESS with a thermos of coffee a bottle of water, and some T.P. and peanuts . . . . oh yeah, I have that dadburned bearspray I'm supposed to get friendly with too.

[/url]
    gt;&lt)))*> ~~~*~~~ Don't Feed the TROLLS ~~~*~~~ <*))))><
    Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. ~~~ Dave von Kleist

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

powderman

MISS NOMER. I'd of liked to have met that man, sounds like a male Ellie Maye Clampet. I don't know anywhere I've not been able to hear jets high overhead. Sometimes squirrel hunting, I welcome the noise to cover my steps in the dead leaves. I can only dream and imagine real wilderness. We used to camp a lot when we were kids, most every weekend in the summer. Shoot squirrels and roast them over a fire, not so many planes back then. I always wondered how I'd fare if I had been dropped off in Canada, or anywhere else, with a gun, knife, and a few essentials, I'll never know, getting too old for that stuff. POWDERMAN.

Gunfighter
    Member #

Wilderness is where you live on natures' terms rather than on mans' terms. Ultimately I suppose we all do that.
    Before I go out my front door in the morning I look around for moose, wolves, and bears.
    When I lived in the city it was human predators that I'd keep an eye out for.

Site Contibutor Super Moderator
    Member #

I consider wilderness places a person has to work to get into & wont likely run across another human, places vehicles can't go nor lazy folks. For me wilderness is a place I can pitch a camp & stay put for as long as I want with nothing to take away from the experience. Just me & those with me & Gods creation. Like Powder Man theres not many places I'v been I can say with certainty I never hear or at least see a plane but that dont bug me, they cant land where I am & likely havent a clue. Aint many places like that anymore but the way most people are getting lazier these days the ones left are often quieter than before.
    If theres houses there it aint wilderness, if theres roads it aint wilderness, if theres campgrounds it aint wilderness. These things might border a wilderness & offer acess but if you can see or hear any of them your not there yet. I tend to like the world God made better than the one we did.
    Ken,

http://photobucket.com/albums/a186/Leverdude/
    Team 1894 member#146
    Team 45/70 member#458
    Freedoms not free!
    Support your NRA!

Wrangler
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by powderman
    MISS NOMER. I'd of liked to have met that man, sounds like a male Ellie Maye Clampet.
    POWDERMAN.
    It was such a kick in the bu++ to listen to them get together and tell stories. My dad and uncle would say, though, that they didn't believe EVERYTHING Stan said --- like the time the mama bear brought her cubs right into the house. They said he liked to tell tall tales, but I dunno. Feeding the critters was true, there were pics of that, and our other friend who lived down near Hobart Bay did the same.

And when I'd show the other kids down in Washington the picture of Buddy and us on the bed, they absolutely would not believe me that it was a real deer. They said it was stuffed and that I was lying.

So maybe Stan was telling the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth! Who needs to invent tall tales when real life is so danged interesting?
    Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. ~~~ Dave von Kleist

Distinguished Master
    Member #

Theres no place you won't see a plane in the sky depending on there routes.I have a friend that spent $147 dollars in one year that lives in a Wall Tent and eats off the land.Smokes/Dry's all his fish and meat and lives off the interest of the money he made.

He has progressed to a 10-foot camper on his truck with a wood stove he dries the fish and game with but still doesn't buy anything but a few potatoes and carrots.He spends less in one year than we do in a month.....

He leaves the women alone..Wise man..I do envy him sometimes as he lives the life of 100 years ago in modern times and is as happy as any person I no.

About every 5 years he comes out and cuts logs for one season to sweatin his bank account but lives in a tent or camper on the job and not in town.

Jayco
    Howdy Boys.

Wrangler
    Member #

that's a pretty amazing lifestyle, Jayco. He's probably healthier than 90% of the human race living like that, too.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links