Nice knife - how are you going to sharpen it? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree160Likes

Thread: Nice knife - how are you going to sharpen it?

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Old time surgeons used to sharpen their scalpels on the sole of their boot...
    NRA Endowment Life Member, SASS, OGCA, NC Watermen United
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” -- George Orwell
    "Corruptissima in republica plurimae leges."--Tacitus
    The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by HIKayaker View Post
    Old time surgeons used to sharpen their scalpels on the sole of their boot...
    Thank goodness I don't live in old times.
    white cloud, tranteruk, me and 4 others like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I also prefer carbon steel to stainless for outdoor knives, but you do have to care for them. Yes to really hard steel being difficult to sharpen, I guess we have to accept that if you have a blade and use it a lot, you need to keep it sharp as you go. One thing in the old days was using worn out files for knife blades. I have never found one, but when at an arms fair keep an eye out for the tell tale serrations that were sometimes still visible on the blunt side.
    'Diligentia Vis Celeritas'

Its not what difficulties life throws at us, but how we face them that defines us....

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Using that rough ring on the bottom of a ceramic coffee cup will work in a pinch.
    truckjohn, Cefus, twodot and 7 others like this.
    Team 45-70 Member #946
    Team Old Pharts #160
    Team 1894 #350

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    All good tips.

It turns out that Razor guys (occasionally) run through a bout of curiosity and experimentation with natural stones....
    Interesting that most useful stones they come across are very fine.. Like in the range of 6k-12k grit...

No doubt that's useful for straightening an edge - approximately "Steeling" or polishing it....

For me though - It's no use for "Sharpening" it to the sort of quality slicing edge we would use to break down an animal, cut rope, and stuff like this... In contrast - a super finely polished edge doesn't usually slice well but it is great for camp tasks like carving wooden things...

The earlier tip about frequently touching up the edges much sooner rather than later is also key.... Since it's hard to find a suitable "Grinding" stone - you can't afford to abuse your blade or allow it to get all the way dull before working on it...

But still - the point remains... Survival... Not hunting or camping or bushwhacking in the woods... How are you going to sharpen and maintain an edge that requires diamond?

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by NewtoSkeet View Post
    Thank goodness I don't live in old times.
    You could still do that today and it would be sanitary as long as they were properly sanitized before use. Doubt they sanitized them thoroughly way back in the day though.
    gunscrewguy and truckjohn like this.

Deadeye
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by rx7dryver View Post
    You could still do that today and it would be sanitary as long as they were properly sanitized before use. Doubt they sanitized them thoroughly way back in the day though.
    They used the best sanitation methods of the time.
    Good old whiskey . I doubt it was top shelf though. That was saved for the Surgeons.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I've used wet-dry sandpaper in a pinch. (600)

AC
    truckjohn likes this.

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    I worked with a fella many years ago that sharpened all his knives on wet concrete....the edges looked horrendous, but, those suckers would cut anything!!! The way he explained it to me, that horrible looking edge was actually serrated when drug across the concrete and in his mind the serrated edge would cut better than a finely honed edge....( I guess that depends on what you would be cutting with it though). Anyway, it worked!!! I never tried it (My personal opinion was, why take a fine knife blade and do that to it?). I guess if I was in a pinch that would be in the back of my mind, but, I carry a small medium stone in my hunting and fishing vests, just in case I need a quick touch up. When I get back home I can "refine" the edge back to its pristine condition. In a survival situation I would use anything I could come across to sharpen a blade....that would be no time to be "picky"!
    "Overkill.............is WAY underrated."
    https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/new-sg35-sg444-home/

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat Top View Post
    I worked with a fella many years ago that sharpened all his knives on wet concrete....the edges looked horrendous, but, those suckers would cut anything!!! The way he explained it to me, that horrible looking edge was actually serrated when drug across the concrete and in his mind the serrated edge would cut better than a finely honed edge....( I guess that depends on what you would be cutting with it though). Anyway, it worked!!! I never tried it (My personal opinion was, why take a fine knife blade and do that to it?). I guess if I was in a pinch that would be in the back of my mind, but, I carry a small medium stone in my hunting and fishing vests, just in case I need a quick touch up. When I get back home I can "refine" the edge back to its pristine condition. In a survival situation I would use anything I could come across to sharpen a blade....that would be no time to be "picky"!
    Toothy edge. A toothy edge cuts many things better than a fine edge but other things not so well.
    Flat Top and truckjohn like this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links