Nice knife - how are you going to sharpen it? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 34
Like Tree160Likes

Thread: Nice knife - how are you going to sharpen it?



  1. #11
    Certified Gunnut
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    SW Ohio; Straits, NC
    Posts
    5,161
    Member #
    51002
    Thanked
    9793 times
    Old time surgeons used to sharpen their scalpels on the sole of their boot...
    NRA Endowment Life Member, SASS, OGCA, NC Watermen United
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” -- George Orwell
    "Corruptissima in republica plurimae leges."--Tacitus
    The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government.

  2. #12
    Marlin Marksman
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Suffolk, VA
    Posts
    1,788
    Member #
    60487
    Thanked
    5223 times
    Quote Originally Posted by HIKayaker View Post
    Old time surgeons used to sharpen their scalpels on the sole of their boot...
    Thank goodness I don't live in old times.
    white cloud, tranteruk, me and 4 others like this.

  3. #13
    Gun Wizard
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Mountains of Cambridgeshire, England
    Posts
    3,261
    Member #
    93682
    Thanked
    11559 times
    I also prefer carbon steel to stainless for outdoor knives, but you do have to care for them. Yes to really hard steel being difficult to sharpen, I guess we have to accept that if you have a blade and use it a lot, you need to keep it sharp as you go. One thing in the old days was using worn out files for knife blades. I have never found one, but when at an arms fair keep an eye out for the tell tale serrations that were sometimes still visible on the blunt side.
    'Diligentia Vis Celeritas'

    Its not what difficulties life throws at us, but how we face them that defines us....

  4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #14
    Marlin Marksman
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,869
    Member #
    36412
    Thanked
    2027 times
    Using that rough ring on the bottom of a ceramic coffee cup will work in a pinch.
    truckjohn, Cefus, twodot and 7 others like this.
    Team 45-70 Member #946
    Team Old Pharts #160
    Team 1894 #350

  6. #15
    Gun Wizard
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    2,218
    Member #
    44583
    Thanked
    5082 times
    All good tips.

    It turns out that Razor guys (occasionally) run through a bout of curiosity and experimentation with natural stones....
    Interesting that most useful stones they come across are very fine.. Like in the range of 6k-12k grit...

    No doubt that's useful for straightening an edge - approximately "Steeling" or polishing it....

    For me though - It's no use for "Sharpening" it to the sort of quality slicing edge we would use to break down an animal, cut rope, and stuff like this... In contrast - a super finely polished edge doesn't usually slice well but it is great for camp tasks like carving wooden things...

    The earlier tip about frequently touching up the edges much sooner rather than later is also key.... Since it's hard to find a suitable "Grinding" stone - you can't afford to abuse your blade or allow it to get all the way dull before working on it...

    But still - the point remains... Survival... Not hunting or camping or bushwhacking in the woods... How are you going to sharpen and maintain an edge that requires diamond?

  7. #16
    Marlin Marksman
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    1,039
    Member #
    56142
    Thanked
    1913 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NewtoSkeet View Post
    Thank goodness I don't live in old times.
    You could still do that today and it would be sanitary as long as they were properly sanitized before use. Doubt they sanitized them thoroughly way back in the day though.
    gunscrewguy and truckjohn like this.

  8. #17
    Deadeye
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Pima County Arizona
    Posts
    577
    Member #
    34889
    Thanked
    1773 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rx7dryver View Post
    You could still do that today and it would be sanitary as long as they were properly sanitized before use. Doubt they sanitized them thoroughly way back in the day though.
    They used the best sanitation methods of the time.
    Good old whiskey . I doubt it was top shelf though. That was saved for the Surgeons.

  9. #18
    Contributing Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Texas born, live in East Central Florida
    Posts
    9,906
    Member #
    20531
    Thanked
    25825 times
    I've used wet-dry sandpaper in a pinch. (600)

    AC
    truckjohn likes this.

  10. #19
    Distinguished Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    St. Louis, Mo.
    Posts
    6,637
    Member #
    4876
    Thanked
    17344 times
    I worked with a fella many years ago that sharpened all his knives on wet concrete....the edges looked horrendous, but, those suckers would cut anything!!! The way he explained it to me, that horrible looking edge was actually serrated when drug across the concrete and in his mind the serrated edge would cut better than a finely honed edge....( I guess that depends on what you would be cutting with it though). Anyway, it worked!!! I never tried it (My personal opinion was, why take a fine knife blade and do that to it?). I guess if I was in a pinch that would be in the back of my mind, but, I carry a small medium stone in my hunting and fishing vests, just in case I need a quick touch up. When I get back home I can "refine" the edge back to its pristine condition. In a survival situation I would use anything I could come across to sharpen a blade....that would be no time to be "picky"!
    "Overkill.............is WAY underrated."
    https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/new-sg35-sg444-home/

  11. #20
    Marlin Marksman
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    1,039
    Member #
    56142
    Thanked
    1913 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat Top View Post
    I worked with a fella many years ago that sharpened all his knives on wet concrete....the edges looked horrendous, but, those suckers would cut anything!!! The way he explained it to me, that horrible looking edge was actually serrated when drug across the concrete and in his mind the serrated edge would cut better than a finely honed edge....( I guess that depends on what you would be cutting with it though). Anyway, it worked!!! I never tried it (My personal opinion was, why take a fine knife blade and do that to it?). I guess if I was in a pinch that would be in the back of my mind, but, I carry a small medium stone in my hunting and fishing vests, just in case I need a quick touch up. When I get back home I can "refine" the edge back to its pristine condition. In a survival situation I would use anything I could come across to sharpen a blade....that would be no time to be "picky"!
    Toothy edge. A toothy edge cuts many things better than a fine edge but other things not so well.
    Flat Top and truckjohn like this.


Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •