Wanting to put together a trauma kit - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree98Likes

Thread: Wanting to put together a trauma kit

Contributing Member
    Member #
    The blood clot agent dressings are fine for oozing wounds, but if there is arterial or a good sized vein bleeding, it won't stop it. Be prepared to apply direct pressure over the bleeding until medical care can be provided. I am a Surgical assistant and we use blood clotting agents on a regular basis for oozing tissue, but we need to cauterize or tie off vessels to stop them from bleeding.
    Study the anatomy of main blood vessels so you can recognize where to apply pressure. We study the anatomy of our quarry to make clean kills and dress the animal, so it's not hard to do the same for humans.
    OP, the only thing I would add to you kit is duct tape and I am not joking. It will help hold pressure on dressings and help with water and dirt contamination.
    Andrew
    The Gene Pool is in need of a lot of Chlorine!

Better yet, drain the entire pool!

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Hey Andrew, I’ve always wondered how downstream tissue/organs get oxygen when an artery is severed via trauma or surgery?
    Is necrosis common, especially due to trauma injuries?
    mikom, alawrence and Reload like this.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by alawrence View Post
    The blood clot agent dressings are fine for oozing wounds, but if there is arterial or a good sized vein bleeding, it won't stop it. Be prepared to apply direct pressure over the bleeding until medical care can be provided. I am a Surgical assistant and we use blood clotting agents on a regular basis for oozing tissue, but we need to cauterize or tie off vessels to stop them from bleeding.
    Study the anatomy of main blood vessels so you can recognize where to apply pressure. We study the anatomy of our quarry to make clean kills and dress the animal, so it's not hard to do the same for humans.
    OP, the only thing I would add to you kit is duct tape and I am not joking. It will help hold pressure on dressings and help with water and dirt contamination.
    Andrew

Thanks for reminding me Andrew , I was gonna ask what the opinion was on the best tape to carry

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Wrangler
    Member #
    Andrew is right about the duct tape,working on farms for years duct tape and toilet paper were our band aids! Most everything I own has duct tape holding something together,why not us!
    Team 30 30 #1434
    1953 336 SC
    1953 336 RC
    Team .35 Rem #785
    1983 336CS

Deadeye
    Member #
    Compression bandages for snake bite. Always an issue in Australia as we have 21 of the 25 most venomous snakes in the world.
    Prickle Farmer

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Prickle Farmer View Post
    Compression bandages for snake bite. Always an issue in Australia as we have 21 of the 25 most venomous snakes in the world.
    ...in Parliament!
    mikom, DeoVindice, Reload and 2 others like this.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by jgriffin1988 View Post
    Hey Andrew, I’ve always wondered how downstream tissue/organs get oxygen when an artery is severed via trauma or surgery?
    Is necrosis common, especially due to trauma injuries?
    It really depends upon which arteries/ veins are damaged. Each extremity, the head and torso has major arteries and veins that supply the blood flow. Let's take the leg for instance. The femoral artery provides the flow into the leg, if that is severed, the chance of losing that leg (if not life itself) is great. Some folks with diseased (blockage) of the femoral artery will developed a secondary blood supply to the leg. This happens because the disease is a slow progress and the body has the time to adjust to it.
    When we do surgery, the team is always cognizant of major arteries and veins. We identify various blood vessels before disecting the surrounding tissue/organ. There is a fairly new technology we use that allows us, through a special camera, to see the blood perfusion in tissue. The perfused tissue developes a bright green glow, if it doesn't glow green in the area of concern, it's due to the vascularity being compromised and then we take steps to fix it. This has helped where we use to have to wait and see if the tissue turned dark and cold (dusky), before redoing the dissection.
    The best thing to remember is an extremities major vein is closest to the skin, with the artery being located behind it. Tourniquets and direct pressure has provided the best way to save lives from boood loss.
    Andrew
    The Gene Pool is in need of a lot of Chlorine!

Better yet, drain the entire pool!

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    One year at deer camp I sutured my left hand with boiled thread from a military sewing kit. It was then soaked in a shot of a friends 100 dollar tequila. The good news was it stopped the bleeding of a bad laceration and a 120 mile trip to the nearest trauma center. The bad news my brother blew chunks and passed out watching, in my camper. LOL I love old deer camp stories
    Team 35 Remington #722
    Team 336-44 #62
    Team 1894 #512
    Team Wheel Gun #77
    Team 44-40 #57

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links