Emergency storage food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Emergency storage food

Wrangler
    Member #

Emergency storage food

Looked around and searched a bit and couldn't find what I'm after. I want to order some of the emergency storage type food, such as Wise Food or Mountain House, but I'm not sure what brand I need to go with. This'll be stop-gap food for use in something like a natural disaster or similar, or something to take with me if I get ahold of one of the contracts to go work in a disaster area where I need to bring my own supplies.
    Does anybody have much experience with the various brands of emergency foods. What are the benefits, and the drawbacks? Which ones have the best nutritional content? Which ones taste the best? Which ones keep the longest?
    Any help on this subject would be appreciated.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Being a Veteran I ate me pleanty of MRE’s (meal ready to eat.) Do a google search and you will learn all about them. I currently have 4 cases on hand. One MRE can feed a man for one day, they are very high in calories. Every MRE comes with a water activated heater so you can enjoy hot chow. I see them at gun shows and can also be found online, they are pricey.

I have also tried Mountain House freeze dried food. It’s good food but requires you to have some way to boil water. Depending on what kind of distaster zone your in you may want to buy a water filter as you will pour the water into the dehydrated food. Also unlike the MRE you will need to bring along your own spoons to eat.

Hope this helps, good luck.
    cajun56 and MidBigWest like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I regularly use Thrive Life freeze dried meals. My wife and I keep a good supply of their meals on hand for quick dinners as well as individual items to supplement other meals with fresh ingredients. They are reasonably priced, try them.
    cajun56 and MidBigWest like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Pig Ninja View Post
    I regularly use Thrive Life freeze dried meals. My wife and I keep a good supply of their meals on hand for quick dinners as well as individual items to supplement other meals with fresh ingredients. They are reasonably priced, try them.
    Thanks! Been searching for something myself.

ca'jun56
    Pig Ninja and MidBigWest like this.
    Lache Pas La Patate
    Old Phart # 138
    Team .32 Special
    Team Winchester # 118
    Team Marlin .35 # 780

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I think the chance of a shtf situation very unlikely, I also think a puncture in my car unlikely. But I still feel better having a spare wheel and a few cans of freeze dried food handy. Mountain House have large cans with a 25 year lifespan. Buy a few and forget em...

One reply above pointed out you still need to boil water? Pretty sure in an extreme situation you can use without, but then, we can go maybe three weeks with no food and only three days without water so if you have no water, to boil or otherwise foods not going be a big issue....

Rule of Three...'Three minutes without air, three days without water, three weeks without food, three months without going to the range...'
    Last edited by tranteruk; 01-26-2019 at 08:12 AM.
    'Diligentia Vis Celeritas'

Its not what difficulties life throws at us, but how we face them that defines us....

"Opinionated Texan" Super Moderator
    Member #
    I got to thinking about this sort of stuff a few years ago.
    I ordered some books about meat curing and smoking, and built
    a smokehouse.
    We have lots of hogs here so there is plenty of easy meat.
    I've gotten pretty good at using the smokehouse, and
    I'm planning to build another one, as this one is pretty
    crude.
    But IMO tho old folks had a treasure trove of knowledge that
    has almost been lost.
    Navajo
    Lever-Action Addict
    Savage 99 fan
    MXLR fan
    Full-Blood Texan

Marlin Marksman
    Outside the Moderate Damage Radius, over the mountain and far away
    Member #
    For my own preps I buy freeze-dried rations from Oregon Freeze Dry or Mountain House.

If you do your due diligence they beat Wise and MREs hands down.
    MidBigWest likes this.
    The ENEMY Is Listening
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    MREs the problem with freeze dryed you have to have a lots of water on hand. but a little of each would be a good idea.
    MidBigWest likes this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I am very happy with Mt House. They make tasty meals, some are a bit on the salty side but you will need that salt if you are outdoors or in a survival situation. As far as water is concerned, well, if you don't have water, you simply don't have the ability to survive very long. MREs will provide a small amount of hydration, but nowhere near enough to sustain a healthy level. The hydration in an MRE is for convenience, not sustenance. You still need a bottle of water to wash down that MRE.

Canned or glass bottled water that can safely be stored for a very long time should also be part of the plan. That cache of water may run out, so you need a backup for the backup. Filtration and purification is a necessary component of any plan.
    MidBigWest likes this.

Wrangler
    Member #
    I do realize that a full blown shtf situation is unlikely. But what about the remote possibility of an alien invasion led by Elvis? Hmmmm? Thought about that?
    Just kidding

But, joking aside, I'm thinking of natural disaster type situations more than anything. I went through a two week period here in Tennessee when a major ice storm hit. No power. EVERYTHING iced over. Of course we had to suffer by eating home cooked meals slow cooked on the wood stove, good coffee, working outside, reading by lantern, and actually fellowshiping with family. Good times.
    Mainly what I'm after is some freeze dried food to store in case of natural disaster here, or if I manage to get sent out on a contract to a disaster zone, such as the aftermath of the hurricane in Florida some months ago, I'll have to pack my own food and water. Freeze dried would be a touch lighter for that too. Since someone brought up MREs, I do need to find a good buy on some fresh ones since I'd pack those too.
    Good suggestions so far. I'll be checking into these.
    MidBigWest likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links