Getting Down To Basics - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Getting Down To Basics

LT
    Contributing Member
    Member #

Re: Getting Down To Basics

Not to be crass for once , but knowing how to deliver a baby would be essential. Lets face it, if a SHTF scenario ever happens, finding birth control ain't gonna be easy and folks are gonna get nekkid and have some fun. It's human nature.. the majority of us got here because we weren't planned.

Also, knowing how to reload ammo could come in handy along with knowing how to use a needle and thread. I could go on and on....

Team 35 Member #3

Army Veteran 67-69 Korea Administrator
    Member #

Re: Getting Down To Basics

One of the reasons I tell kids in high school to get a vasectomy before they breed.

I hear you on knowing how to use a needle and thread, along them lines I keep a sewing kit in all my vehicles, some dental floss with a larger needle in it makes an easy to use setup that has some premo thread in it. I've got a wallet I sewed together with dental floss, from a kit at a local leather shop, it's still going strong after 25 yrs of use.

I do reload but try to keep as many rounds of .22 rimfire around as possible. It being the ultimate in survival guns from small game to deer and beyond if you place your shots close up and personal. That fella that took out the guard in DC museum used only one round of .22 rf.

The SHTF scenario pretty much big game will be violated a lot and provide for a while until the herds are decimated, with hunting year round you better have a good fishing spot picked out. Lot of animals not considered table fare now will become just that.

Ground hogs, possum, crow, pidgeon, rats, larger birds of all kinds, I've eaten all listed. Frogs, snakes, if you have dogs or cats you have to watch them close and still feed em.

Lot of fare fit to eat is out there for the taking, nuts, acorns, cat tail tops and roots, the leaves are weavable for clothing or shelter. Red sumac berries and leaves for tea and drinks high in antioxidents. Willow leaves are high in the same catagory as aspirin for those that take a daily blood thinner a couple of leaves chewed daily works.

that is another thing you should look up if you take daily meds like I do for natural replacements, of course watching your diet intake of all the junk will drop off significantly if things go bad.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I am stocking up on dried food. Lots of beans rice and oatmeal. I'm also buying 3 or 4 boxes of salt everytime I go to the store. Stock up on sewing needles too. The one thing you may want that you can't resupply or grow or make is coffee. It just doesn't grow here. It would be a great trading commodity too.
    Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats. H.L Mencken

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Army Veteran 67-69 Korea Administrator
    Member #
    On the coffee issue, get a good burr mill it grinds it finer and less is needed. Next get a stove top aka open fire percolator reusing the grounds with fresh water is doable and a little longer on the perking extends the grounds a ways. Milling your coffee into powder aka instant coffee can extend the grounds farther.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    Ok, lots of good info. Here is the thing, let me start off with a short story. I promise it will be short and to the point!!
    I had a guy working for me a few years back, who was preparing to go the the Coast Guard to test for his Engineering licence. I told him he needed to really learn the equipment and the job, not just learn how to pass the test. Here is what he told me " I will learn that, when I have to, I am not worried about that now"
    I say that, to say this.
    Having lots of material things stored up is a good idea, but what do all the experts and all the books tell us is the most important survival tool in any emergency situation?? Your Brain!! That is right knowledge!! Yes, it is true many medicines can be made from things you find in nature. When you become sick is not the time to learn how. Ammunition will be hard to find! When it it no longer available is not the time to learn how to reload. Trapping can be done with no ammunition and possibly more importantly, silently. When you are out of food is not the time to learn how to trap.
    I could go on and on, but my point is this.
    Spend time and money now on stocking up ammo., food, medicines, etc. But also spend time buying books, learning new skills, taking various classes, such as first aid etc. The most important thing you can invest in now to insure your survival in a SHTF situation is your brain, fill it with as much knowledge as you can. Fill your childrens brains too.
    Now a little personal info. I am not an alarmist, nor to I worry alot about the future. I can do, what I can do, and that is it. The outcome of human civilization is not unknown or still to be determined! Those of us who believe is the bible, and put our faith in Jesus Christ, know how the story ends. How do we get to the end? I do not know. I just know who comes out on top, when he decides it is time for it to end.
    Now, back to the point of knowledge.
    Your wife and especially your children, probably do not see the danger the future holds as much as we do. I know mine does not. I think it is our responsibility to teach them, just as well. I am not saying to tell your children the sky is falling, but prepare them. How do you do this without being an alarmist? Take your family camping. Take them hunting. Do not leave them watching TV or playing on the computer, bring them out with you when you reload or cast some bullets, explain things. These are things we all think about and maybe we all plan to do, but somehow just never get around to it, as much as we want. Make it a priority!! I set up a First Aid CPR class with the local EMS and took my whole family a few weeks back. I wish now I had invited some friends or some of their friends.
    The point is we need to gain knowledge, and store knowledge and make it a priority to gain the knowledge, before it becomes necessary to use it.
    Thanks, Jamie
    Lord, I'm not a violent man , but the guns in my hand !!
    Christian, Conservative, gun-owner and I make no apologies for it!
    mulemangunworks.com
    Team 45-70 #165

7. 08-16-2014, 05:14 PM

Wrangler

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links