Open Pollinated Garden Seed.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Open Pollinated Garden Seed.

I thought maybe we should have a thread for us gardeners/survivors about the types of open pollinated garden/veggy seeds that can be saved from year to year or even for decades and still produce. This will enable gardeners to save their own seed in the event of a crisis where seed are not available or no longer affordable.

Most seed can be saved if stored properly for many years and even decades. If you know of varieties that do well, taste, good and save well list them here so all of us will know what to look for. I will start by naming a few common seeds that are readily available most anywhere.

Tomato's-- RUTGER. I prefer the Rutger variety over all others. It is a very good tomato for canning, juicing, and just an all purpose tomato that grows well and produces well. It is a crossbred variety but not a hybrid which allows seed to be saved and will reproduce. RED BEEFSTAKE and ROMA tomatoes also OP and are fine tomato's.

Cucumbers-- SRAIGHT 8. This is also an OP variety that produces well. Makes nice medium sized, good tasting cucumbers for pickling or eating. Seed saves for years

Corn-- HICKORY KING. This is an old standard OP white corn which is still grown all over the south and Appalachia region in gardens. It can be eaten as sweet corn right off the stalk, cans well, and when allowed to mature(harden) it is great for milling into corn meal, making hominy, and even grits out of it.
    GOLDEN BANTAM is a good sweet corn type variety as are COUNTRY GENTLEMEN and ASHWORTH.

Peppers. Most varieties of common peppers are of OP type and can be saved for seed.
    Cubanelle Pepper-- makes a good sweet frying pepper and easy to can or pickle.
    CALIFORNIA WONDER is a great sweet bell pepper good for stuffing, cooking and about anything peppers are good for.
    Of course most varieties of Cayenne, Jalapeno and banana peppers are OP.

CABBAGE-- There are several good all purpose OP cabbage varieties. COPENHAGEN MARKET is one that I raise and they make nice round 2 to 5 pound heads good for making kraut, slaw, cooking and about any thing cabbage is good for.

RED ACRE is a nice red/purple cabbage good in slaws and OK steamed Not a real good kraut breed but a few of them don't hurt a thing.

CHARELSTON WAKEFIELD cabbage is a good producer of multi purpose cabbage and well suited to the south.

DANISH BALLHEAD cabbage is also a good producer of multi use cabbage and well suited to northern climates.

BROCCOLI. WALTHAM 29 is a good OP hardy variety.

ITALIAN GREEN CALABRESE. Is OP and a good producer of nice big heads.

POTATO's I raise KENNEBECKS and RED PONTIACS. Just save the ones with bad spots, very small ones and such to plant the next year.

OK I listed some now some of you gardeners tell us what kind of OP veggies you grow. I save all kinds of seed to plant year after year inculding my field corn. Any of the DENT or FLINT types of field corn are OP and work fine for me. HYBRIDS do normally out produce the OP field corns but seed is cheap and plentiful when you save your own.

The seed companies are now selling this genetically engineered seed and make the farmers sign a contract forbiding them from saving seed for the next year. This is no good. Some have even been sued by the seed companies recently. They send spies out to tresspass and sample your crops. If any of their DNA shows up in your crop even if you never bought their seed they can and will sue. Then folks have the audacity to wonder why I am so contrary. I don't plan on being controlled by anyone so I save my own seed here on the farm including tobacco seed. I plan to be around for a while yet and don't put my faith in the system. I put it in me and the land.

I can't wait to get another crop started. Won't be long now until I start my veggy seeds to growing in my little greenhouse.

Member #

Re: Open Pollinated Garden Seed.

I'm gonna give the Hickory King white corn a try this year for hominy and meal. I need to learn how to make hominy the old wood ash way. How do you make hominy George?

Member #

To tell the truth I am a greenhorn at hominy but we do boil wood ash in an iron kettle to make lye and use it. Baking soda can be used too but that ain't the way granny done it.

I will have to hunt up the recipe as I haven't made any in 5 or 6 years. No one here will eat it except me. I love the stuff. I know we fill the kettle about a third of the way full of ashes from hardwood(oak, hickory, ash) and fill with water and boil it for about an hour. I have heard of folks only boiling it for 10 or 15 minutes. Then we leave it set overnight and siphon off the liquid after the ash has settled.

Then we add dry corn to the liquid and boil it for 3 or 4 hours to loosen the hull and soften the corn. Then we drain the liquid off in a collander and, rinse to seperate the hulls out and put it back in clear water and cook some more. Then you can eat it, can it, or dry it to preserve it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Member #

Wood ash in water makes some stout juice. I use it when I make buckskins. After fooling with that it is hard to believe you can use it on something you eat. I let my deer hides soak in for up to a week, and when you stick your hands down in it to stir it it will give your arms a burning feeling. but the old time way is how I want to do it.

Member #

Hehehehe!, I use a lard paddle to stir mine with.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links