interesting topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anonymous

interesting topic

I really like the idea of living in a remote area. Nothing too extreme, but I just dont like being around crowds, and traffic. My job keeps me in a pretty crowded area, but I am considering moving about an hour or so out of town and getting into some serious gardening, farming etc. to go with the hunting and fishing I get to do here and there. Really interested in survivalism/self reliance things like that. I'm no wacko, just like peace and quiet, and that's getting hard to find. I dont have too much info on the subjects I'm interested in, just getting stuff a little bit at a time. I guess my goal is to get into a rural/remote area and see how much of my own groceries I can grow/catch/shoot.

Gunfighter
    Member #

interesting topic

If you move close to the train tracks then you can probably get all the meat you need for the year.

Anonymous

interesting topic

Hunting would be a little easier, but the meat is not of the consistancy that I like. Besides the dog-gone trains would keep me up at night. I suppose you could listen for the loud THWACK and then go "pick up dinner" :shock:

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gunfighter
    Member #

interesting topic

Well, where I live, you can always get a moose. Even if you don't hunt--(you can't always get one that way anyway). A lot of them are hit by vehicles or by the train and the State Troopers maintain a list of people who get them, and there is more than enough moose meat to go around. You can catch enough fish for the winter and there are enough spruce hens for poultry. In normal years you can freeze enough berries but this was not a normal year. Providing a good portion of our own food is pretty much a necessity here because the nearest store is around 80 miles away and during the winter it's not always a road that you want to drive on even if you could. So my advice would be to look for a place in the country with decent soil for a garden and some fruit bearing trees, close enough to hunting and fishing places. You will want to put up a greenhouse to grow winter vegetables--you didn't say where you live so what kind of greenhouse would depend on that.

Anonymous

interesting topic

Hey I can't get my username to show up on this forum, I'm dochollidayinn and I live in central Alabama, gardening is not a problem at all. My wife and I are house-shopping and are torn between city, and country. I quess you live in Alaska, that must be really neat. I looked into moving up there for awhile before I met my wife, would still like to visit one day. I love cold weather, but your definition of cold and mine are probably a lot different. :lol:

Platinum Poster
    Member #

interesting topic

DOC.. for some reason you not logged in..
    Gunjunkie..

"Arbitrary power is most easily established on the ruins of liberty abused to licentiousness." --George Washington

Deadeye
    Member #

interesting topic

yeah I log in but sometimes it does'nt show, sometimes it does. This time I clicked on post reply and then logged in should work. Minor Brainfart, also known in technical terms as cranial-rectal inversion. I pull about 350 of those a year.
    'll think of something gimme a minute

Gunfighter
    Member #

interesting topic

Doc, once it gets -20 and under, it doesn't matter, it's just cold.

I have never been to Alabama. Is it possible to find a place to live there that is rural but is still close enough to a city that you could go there when you need it?

I admit that I am no fan of Anchorage and do not want to live there but I could use access to good bookstores and tea shops a bit more often.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

interesting topic

TTL,
    Reedin' books an drinkin' tee,jus soundz lik youse is two refinnned four Alasker. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Mike

Keep a grin on........
    If you get better with age, I'm pretty close to MAGNIFICENT!!

Gunfighter
    Member #

interesting topic

I almost mentioned in my last post that I miss the symphony too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links