straight case wildcat? - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: straight case wildcat?

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I have a good friend looking to sell a like new Ruger No 1 375 H&H.
    Matthew 25:40 / WWJD
    Favorite caliber- How is that even possible?
    The more I know the less I understand.
    Recovering Redneck / Recovering Catholic / Recovered racist
    Monotheistic Secular Humanist

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by edcknives View Post
    I have a good friend looking to sell a like new Ruger No 1 375 H&H.
    Does he have a price?
    edcknives likes this.
    Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.” — William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Not sure I would go with a rimless and a straight walled case. Has to be headspaced off the case mouth. A staight case based off the 308 win would be a rimless 444 Marlin.
    Vooch and Travlin like this.
    Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.” — William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Drm50 ,

I would consider a 40-70 Sharps Straight if it meets overall length requirements of Ohio. I think you can use .405 Win. brass or 30/40 Krag or .303 British brass. I am sure not everybody in your areas will have one. I know these are not rimless cases.
    bryan alder and Vooch like this.
    Old men with Garands do not panic.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by 25/20Marlin View Post
    Drm50 ,

I would consider a 40-70 Sharps Straight if it meets overall length requirements of Ohio. I think you can use .405 Win. brass or 30/40 Krag or .303 British brass. I am sure not everybody in your areas will have one. I know these are not rimless cases.
    Or you could get 40-65 brass straight from Starline

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    I am in Ohio and restricted to minimum 38cal and straight case for deer. I have a #1 Ruger I am thinking about getting barreled to 405win. I was in a little brain freeze thinking up the best straight cartridge for flat shooting ballistics of avaible commercial cartridges. I am now also going to consider wildcats. I'm going to hit some manuals like PO Ackleys.
    Anyone have wildcats of 38 to 40 cal based on rimless cases that would meet the straight case regulation. The #1 will allow me spitzer bullets and generous OAL of cartridge. Actually .357" is legal. I got interested in Win 350 until I found out it was a 223 case blown out. I thought is was going to be a 35 cal version of 375Win. kind of a super sized 357 max. Any info appreciated, a wildcat on a rimless case wouldn't be anymore PIA than a 405 when it comes to brass & bullets.
    Dmr50,

The 375 Win is hard to beat. Many bullet options. You get a wide variety of weights, bullet design, jacketed, and cast options. In a single shot you do not need to worry about OAL for cycling. You can shoot a 300 + gr cast bullet easily. You can load up for flat shooting hunting, shoot heavy cast long range, or load cast light mild loads for target practice or family fun with trail boss.

The 375 Win brass is constructed for peppy loads. Your action is also designed for the higher pressure cartridges. The 375 Win may be the best design for all shooting sports for you with the Ruger #1 action. Oh, Starline makes 357 Win brass.

I know, not rimless. However, for a few $'s the smith or barrel mfg can alter the extractor to fit. Easier to take off material than fabricate new for more length.
    Last edited by PoopDeckPappy; 06-12-2019 at 11:13 PM.
    bryan alder and Travlin like this.
    PDP aka: Pappy
    My Favorites: 22 Hornet and all wildcats, 28-30 Stevens, 32-20 and all wildcats, plus all hyphenated rifle cartridges
    Team: "Old Pharts" #348,
    Team Winchester #145

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by bryan alder View Post
    Or you could get 40-65 brass straight from Starline
    I thought that the 40-65 was based on the .45/70 case necked down to .40 cal. which would make it a bottle neck case.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    It doesn't have a shoulder. Is a tapered case considered a straight wall case?

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by bryan alder View Post
    It doesn't have a shoulder. Is a tapered case considered a straight wall case?
    In Iowa with their Mickey Mouse rules a tapered case is not a straight case. I don't know about other states.
    bryan alder likes this.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by 25/20Marlin View Post
    In Iowa with their Mickey Mouse rules a tapered case is not a straight case. I don't know about other states.
    Weird
    25/20Marlin likes this.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links