Like Tree7Likes
  • 5 Post By Quick Karl
  • 1 Post By 1Forecon
  • 1 Post By Quick Karl

Thread: 404 EXP. F.N. Barnes

Sidewinder
    Member #

404 EXP. F.N. Barnes

Ever hear of it? Neither did I, or anyone else I've ever spoken to, and for all my looking there are no chamber diagrams or load data, anywhere in the Universe!

Nevertheless, I consider myself fortunate to have come across a pristine 1951 commercial Mauser with 404 EXP. F.N.BARNES stamped on the barrel, from an old time gunsmith that started the project in the late 50's/early 60's (to the best of his recollection), and he never finished it.

So, I did!

It is based on a 405 Winchester in a belted magnum case - think 400 Winchester Magnum - and after too much figuring and work to list here, I got it shooting, and had dies made by Ben Syring at Hornady. Worked up a load in Quick Load and it will shoot a 400g Woodleigh 2400 FPS - 5131 ft lbs. Being a simple lowly human, I loaded it down a bit so that I could survive the recoil...

I think it wold be a helluva pig gun!

Photos are first range day (note lead sled) and first group out of the rifle without adjusting the scope - dead on!

RANGE DAY.jpg400g Woodliegh 50-yards.jpg
    Last edited by Quick Karl; 03-21-2019 at 06:02 AM.
    “Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them. - Albert Einstein”

Deadeye
    Member #
    Pigs...or Elephants That is one heckava rifle and caliber! Not a fan of scout scoping but looks nice none the less.

Good save.
    Quick Karl likes this.
    "Semper Fi Mac!"

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

John Wayne

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Forecon View Post
    Pigs...or Elephants That is one heckava rifle and caliber! Not a fan of scout scoping but looks nice none the less.

Good save.
    I had an experience with a scope on my 1895 CB and a Buffalo Bore 45-70 - I still have the scar on my eyebrow! Plus I did not want to drill & tap the receiver - I guess when my niece gets the gun she can do as she pleases with it.

I modeled the banded front sight base and quarter rib in SolidWorks and had a friend CNC the parts - right now the scope is off the gun and I fit the front sight blade and rear sight (would be under the scope) and need to get it to a range so I can file the elevation in.

It will get your attention when you drop the hammer.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

"Opinionated Texan" Super Moderator
    Member #
    That may be a little more than you need, but hey....
    nobody can say it ain't enough I suppose.
    Navajo
    Lever-Action Addict
    Savage 99 fan
    MXLR fan
    Full-Blood Texan

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I have some commercial load data for the 400 Pondoro (.409" bore) based on necked up 375 H&H case from the A-Square Reloading Manual

I also have load data for both he .404 BJ (Barnes-Johnson) Express (.411 bore) and the .404 Barnes Supreme (.411 bore) Both are listed in the Handbook for Shooter and Reloaders by PO Ackley

Load data from both sources is sparse. I also have my own load data from the 404 Dakota, 416 Taylor and 416 Rem Mag. that I owned a number of years ago. I was big bore fan for some time, but illness and age have limited my ability to shoot them any more.

I there is anything I can do to help you please just ask. I still have 7 boxes of new 404 Dakota (.423 bore) brass just sitting under my loading bench collecting dust along with 3 boxes of 404 Barnes X bullets......
    I once tried to design a "idiot proof" reloading process, but I failed totally. That's because nature adapts and soon builds itself a better idiot immune from proofing........

Team Wheelguns Member #108

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by navajo View Post
    That may be a little more than you need, but hey....
    nobody can say it ain't enough I suppose.
    Everything is bigger in Texas!

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by BobinNC View Post
    I have some commercial load data for the 400 Pondoro (.409" bore) based on necked up 375 H&H case from the A-Square Reloading Manual

I also have load data for both he .404 BJ (Barnes-Johnson) Express (.411 bore) and the .404 Barnes Supreme (.411 bore) Both are listed in the Handbook for Shooter and Reloaders by PO Ackley

Load data from both sources is sparse. I also have my own load data from the 404 Dakota, 416 Taylor and 416 Rem Mag. that I owned a number of years ago. I was big bore fan for some time, but illness and age have limited my ability to shoot them any more.

I there is anything I can do to help you please just ask. I still have 7 boxes of new 404 Dakota (.423 bore) brass just sitting under my loading bench collecting dust along with 3 boxes of 404 Barnes X bullets......
    It is close to the 404 BJ Express but the 404 Barnes Supreme is longer by a bit! I have the PO Ackley book too. I stocked up on Woodleigh 400g .411 (450-400) & 300g .412 bullets (405 Winchester) and just bought a few boxes of Hornady 458 Lott brass (which sizes down real easy after cutting .200 off), and I still have a box of Hornady Belted Magnum Basic brass so I am pretty well stocked for now, but thank you for the offer.

I have to say - Quick Load is one seriously amazing program and I can not recommend it more emphatically. It predicted loads 20FPS faster than what they chronographed!
    BobinNC likes this.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    If anyone in the Bastrop, TX area has a problem with a pig, I am volunteering to take care of it for you - free of charge!

You call, we haul!

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I hope that none of y'all hurt yourselves looking for your sense of humor!

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links