Marlin Firearms Forum banner

New Marlin Owner - Upset Marlin Owner

Tags
1894 1894cb
4K views 38 replies 36 participants last post by  azbagger2 
#1 ·
Marlin 1894 Cowboy 44M

Just picked up my new Marlin. Read all the history, looked at fit & finish. Not a serious shooter (yet), looking for more fun than hunting. Went to cycle the lever and low an behold no dice. Brand new out of the box the hammer is not cocking all the way. You need to push it with you finger to click. Not sure of the bolt or hammer is out of spec, but assume its one or the other.

So, while looking forward to be a new Marlin owner, not starting out so well in Ohio.

Ray G :banghead:

#27 ·
Hello from KY.

#32 ·
I debated buying a new marlin in .357, held it at the shop more than several times. Fit an finish was good, I cycled the action, etc. I just couldn't drop the money on it. So I searched for quite a bit, and drove over an hour to buy a JM stamped model, born in 1991. It was worth every minute of the drive. Hour there, steak dinner with the wife..hour drive back..I'm happy, shes happy! She wants the stainless model they came out with, so I'll wat a bit for that, see how things pan out.

#34 ·
Welcome. I could not help but think of that as some new "Rifleman" feature so you can cycle it and fire at a really fast rate ! All kidding aside---that is pretty bad out of the box. Make the dealer swap you because sending it back to a company in bankruptcy is a bad deal.

#37 ·
Welcome to Marlin from Maine. You made a good choice in purchasing a 94 in 44 mag they are fun to shoot. Unfortunately like other posters have stated Remington has not quite figured out all the bugs. There are stories all over the internet of Remington and its quality control. I read an interview with someone from Remington and they said they were totally taken off guard on how difficult it was to build a good lever action rifle. They really struggled with "timing" of the lever. Sounds like that may be your issue. It really stinks your first purchase went sour but in the end you should get it back in good working order. Keep us posted! I am with the majority here. I stick with used JM Marlins for now. Cabelas can find you one in their Gun Library and have it shipped in for you locally.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.