My Dad - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: My Dad

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by PMSteve View Post
    My father passed away in 2000. He was a Marine Raider/Sniper who fought in WWII and Korea. He served on Iwo Jima, Guadalcanal and Midway in WWII and was a member of the "Chosin Few" during the Korean war. He has the Silver Star from Iwo as well as 5 Purple Heart medals along with many others.

One of the best things that I ever remember him saying about the wars was, "The real heroes are the ones who never made it home".

A year before he passed, My sister sat him down and video-taped a 2 hour interview with him about his time in the wars. Added to that is his burial at sea from the deck of a Navy Destroyer. I learned more about his exploits from that video than I ever did from him during his life. It was something that he just didn't talk about. A lot of vets are that way. Non vets just wouldn't understand the references and the stories without having that military frame of reference.

Thanks for your time.

Steve
    You can be very proud of your dad. The interview sounds like what might turn into an excellent book.
    PMSteve likes this.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    Thanks for sharing about your Father. It's been one year today since my Father a Navy Vet passed and he was the same way.

They were some of the tuffest old coots around.

Mckmain
    PMSteve likes this.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Thanks for the thread. It hits home.
    PMSteve likes this.
    Mankind's lack of faith in their fellow man shall be it's down fall... One man's faith in all mankind shall be his downfall.....

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    My step dad was a merchant marine during ww2 .
    They didnt get recognized as vets till well after he had passed away.
    In England there is a statue dedicated to them.
    In so far as I know the only monument here in the states is at the merchant marine academy.
    He saw action in all the theaters and went over the mariana trench a number of times was in the pacific and the european theater.
    I have a number of his things he had that i hold dearly .
    I wish sometimes i wasnt such a punk kid and listened to him more and asked alot more questions .
    One thing that has stuck with me is that they had a asian cook who would wash the starch off the rice by rinsing it till it ran clear something i still do to this day.
    PMSteve likes this.
    Peter
    America will never be destroyed from the outside.
    If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Abraham Lincoln

​Μολών λαβέ !

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

anysoldier.com
    send candy gum cards newspapers magazines mixed cds games playing cards anything from home

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Steve,
    might make a good youtube video if yall were comfortable with that
    PMSteve likes this.
    Peter
    America will never be destroyed from the outside.
    If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Abraham Lincoln

​Μολών λαβέ !

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

anysoldier.com
    send candy gum cards newspapers magazines mixed cds games playing cards anything from home

Contributing Member
    Member #
    My father in law died 7 years ago. He always told stories, but never seemed serious about them. He went to the Aluetians for the duration of WWII.

One day he and I were alone, he opened up for about 4 hours. Really unloaded with some horrifying stuff. He never spoke to his family, 4 sons and 2 daughters, about this. My wife was in the Air Force and I served in the Marines, maybe he felt a little more at ease talking to me about it.

Don
    PMSteve likes this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I wasn't familiar with the term "Chosin Few", I was pretty young when the Korean war was fought so I did some looking on the net and realized I had read about. I also ran across one man's story on it. Those guys went through hell. Here is a link to that story for anyone that's interested.

One of
    PMSteve and etexoldguy like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by toughfordbronco View Post
    Steve,
    might make a good youtube video if yall were comfortable with that

I had thought about that but the sound quality is terrible. My sister recorded it in a friend's home and there are kitchen sounds in the background. I do plan on making a transcript of the video so anyone who want's to can read it.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Steve
    toughfordbronco and whiskers like this.
    Chuck Norris was born on May 6th, 1945. Germany surrendered on May 7th, 1945. Coincidence? I don't think so!

Team .45-70 Govt. #813

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by PMSteve View Post
    I had thought about that but the sound quality is terrible. My sister recorded it in a friend's home and there are kitchen sounds in the background. I do plan on making a transcript of the video so anyone who want's to can read it.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Steve
    I for one would very much like to read it.
    PMSteve likes this.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Steve, your Dad, and all the others like him have always been an inspiration to me. When I was growing up in the 1950's WWII was still fresh in the American mind. I knew that when I grew up I wanted to serve, too.
    I later served, in the States and Vietnam, with the Army's 5th Infantry Division and as a member of The Society Of The Fifth Division got to become friends with some of the WWII guys at our annual reunions. Sadly, they are almost all gone now.
    The Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, and Marines who fought WWII literally saved the world. Whether with a rifle or a typewriter, each did his/her part for victory over evil.
    Thanks for your post, Steve.
    PMSteve likes this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchil
    Member: Veterans of Foreign Wars, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, AMVETS, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links