• 4 Post By Daltond
  • 4 Post By RJF22553
  • 2 Post By Padraig

Thread: Bad Memories?

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Bad Memories?

One for Vets, and maybe others.

Like me you may have some bad memories that slip back now and again. They can be triggered by almost anything from TV to a song on the radio. Maybe a familiar name or product. I have a couple, and I have a technique to shut them down. I thought it might be nice to pass it on here. If you have no bad memories, great. But if you do try this.

I was taught some mind techniques over a year. Mainly hypnotherapy, which this is not but it is associated.

Think of remembering like a road. You hit a part of the road you dont want to be on. This idea forces a turn, onto a side road.

First, we build the side road. Sit for a minute and imagine your on the range alone. Target is downrange and you load your favourite handgun. Auto or revolver, I use a revolver. Look at the target, look at the gun in your hand. Chose one you like and stick to it. Next, imagine pressing the rounds into the cylinder, and closing it. Then imagine aiming at the target, getting a good sight picture and firing. Watch the bullets punch holes around the bull, one by one. Take the whole process slow. Each round into the cylinder, notice the shine on the brass as they slip into the chambers. Then slow fire, single or double action, as you prefer. Feel the trigger break, feel the snap of the recoil, watch the front sight flip up.

When a bad memory rises, jump to the range you have imagined. There you are, notice its a nice day, suns out, no wind. Look at the gun in your hand.

OK, some ground rules. First, stick to one gun and target, dont vary them. The imagined series of actions must remain the same every time or it wont work. Second, practice. The more you run through the new imagined series of actions the stronger and more effective it will be. Last, accept it wont work for everyone but sticking to the rules will help. Its kinda like a right turn off of the thought road. Breaks the route.

It is best if its a real memory, a range visit you remember well. Still, stick to the same one. As an example I will tell you mine. It was a real memory. The range was on a Navy Base where I had access to the range. The gun was a vintage Webley .455 someone lent me. It was a lovely dry sunny day and while shooting an old biplane flew overhead. Its a clear now as it was when it happened.

If anyone has any questions I will try to help. I am no expert but did complete a years training in mind techniques. Most of which I hated, but some useful nuggets remain. Good luck.
    Last edited by tranteruk; 12-29-2019 at 08:44 AM.
    'Diligentia Vis Celeritas'

Its not what difficulties life throws at us, but how we face them that defines us....

Platinum Poster
    Member #
    Lots of bad memories from my 25 yrs in corrections. I woods walk clears my mind.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I've had slide shows flashing quickly through my head nightmares. Literally scores of grisly scenes, of carnage and tragedy Those and prayer have settled those issues. Drinking, does not.

AC

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Platinum Poster
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by gunscrewguy View Post
    I've had slide shows flashing quickly through my head nightmares. Literally scores of grisly scenes, of carnage and tragedy Those and prayer have settled those issues. Drinking, does not.

AC
    Ive had to many friends lost to booze drugs.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I have far too many of those types of memories.
    And it is strange to me that it is some of the most innocuous, unrelated things that bring them back to my mind.
    I usually just slap myself and move forward.
    Works most of the time.
    As a prior poster noted, drinking does not, nor any other outside influence that I ever ran across.
    This is one side effect of warfare that does not get mentioned in the numerous history books.
    I can remember all too well as a child of the 50's and 60's, seeing war glorified more often than not.
    Think about TV shows like Combat, and Comic books like Sgt Rock, or The Haunted Tank.
    I do not regret having been raised in that time, and I
    am of the opinion that I and others like myself are just members of an age old fraternity that stretches back for thousands of years.

"It is only those who have neither fired a shot, or heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded, who cry aloud for blood, more vengeance, more desolation. War is Hell" W.T. Sherman
    Last edited by Daltond; 12-30-2019 at 12:27 AM.
    My Avatar is in Honor of my Great-Great Grandfather, Brig/Gen Dudley M. DuBose.
    Flag is the Sole surviving Battle Flag of the 15th Ga Infantry Regt..
    Commandant (Col.) 1861-63

Sidewinder
    Member #
    No bad memories, really - at least nothing that kept me awake. I've been fortunate I guess. Never had to fire a shot in anger, only lost one close friend to combat: Pentagon on 9/11...I was at home that fateful day.

But when I need some calming, I think of the long wonderful daily hours-long walks in our woods with my Fi, and her adventures with deer, squirrels, rabbits, ground-hogs, racoons, wild turkeys, Canada Geese, our stream, and our two barn cats. She loved wading in the stream.

That is my "comfort space", but right now, one of our formerly-feral barn cats is laying on my "mouse" hand, asleep and purring his head off - which makes it a challenge to continue this post...

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Tranteruk , thank you.

Padraig
    gunscrewguy and tranteruk like this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links