A Lonely Vietnam Vet and a Thanksgiving Request
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree137Likes

Thread: A Lonely Vietnam Vet and a Thanksgiving Request

Gun Wizard
    Member #

A Lonely Vietnam Vet and a Thanksgiving Request

Man, I don't even know where to start with this or how to ask but, here goes....

My next door neighbor is a disabled Vietnam vet who has suffered a heap of health issues for decades, some of which I am sure are related to his service. He had been feeling especially unwell for a couple of weeks before he finally went to the doctor. That was about three weeks ago. Long story short, he had (has) some very serious health issues that required major surgery, and because of his overall health, he was admitted to a long term rehab facility. He is expected to be there for six months.

My neighbor, who I will refer to as J, is basically all alone in life. His entire family is gone, J's parents and siblings all passed on well before their time. The only surviving relative is distant in more than one sense. She lives far away and they are not at all close, so he is basically alone.

J is a good guy who has had a lot of bad hands dealt to him. In spite of his adversities, he does a pretty good job of keep'n on trucking. I am planning on visiting him at the rehab tomorrow or Friday, which I'm sure will cheer him up a little bit. There is nothing worse than being alone for the holidays, except perhaps being alone in a rehab with half your innards cut out eating through a straw.

I would like to ask a very big favor from other vets, who are perhaps the only folks who I think can pull off this mission. There's a good chance J won't make it home in six months, It saddens me deeply that J is having to endure another setback alone. I do what I can, but I'm only one man. If any of his brothers-in-arms could find five minutes tomorrow (Thanksgiving day) to call him and wish him a happy Thanksgiving and a speedy recovery, I would consider it a huge favor, a debt I could not repay.

It's crazy, right? A stranger asking other strangers to cold call someone they don't even know. Well, here I am reaching out, hopefully not reaching out too far. I do not like asking people to do things for me, but at the end of the day it's not me I'm asking for. I just feel like I should try and do something for J, and this is all I could come up with.

If you are willing to support this mission, please PM me and I will PM you back with J's contact info at the rehab. As far as what to say, because I'm sure he will be wondering why he's getting calls, just say " Hi J, this is ........., I heard you were laid up and wanted to say happy Thanksgiving and get well soon. Think of it as a greeting card, over the phone. If he asks who put you up to this, just say "some guy named Scorpio on a gun forum. He will put 2 & 2 together. Honestly, I'd prefer it if he did not know it was me, because it's not the important part of this. I'm not looking for recognition, or anything else out of this. I just want to cheer up a friend and neighbor who has served our nation.
    "Step by step they were led to things which dispose to vice, the lounge, the bath, the elegant banquet. All this in their ignorance they called civilization, when it was but a part of their servitude." ― Tacitus

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    Prayers sent for J, tell him Thanks for his service,Have as good of a Thanksgiving as he can! Scorpio you are a good friend!!!
    What this country needs is a department of common sense! The tree of liberty would be a great place for hang mans ropes!
    Team 22 Magnum # 46
    Team Old Pharts # 235
    Team Wheel gun # 74
    Team 22 bolt action # 5
    Team 60 # 511

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Prayers sent for our brother in arms. Tell him an old Jarhead from North Idaho sends him his best!! Bless you, Scorpio, for looking out for one of our own.
    Last edited by North Idaho Shooter; 11-27-2019 at 04:57 PM.
    scorpio, no primers and cajun56 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Scorpio,
    PM incoming this evening,, card in the mail tomorrow.
    Guys, Let's fill his room with cards!

Saddest words you'll ever hear
    ... "I have these old guns that were my dads and I have no interest in them"

Teach a kid to shoot and to carry on the tradition of safe, ethical use of firearms...

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    PM sent.
    scorpio and cajun56 like this.
    NRA - Life; NAHC - Life; Retired USN
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, ...... glory, lasts forever!
    Team 30-30 #960; Team Model 60 #251; Team 35 #598; Team 375 #68; Team 45-70 #1658;
    Team 39 #467; Team Bolt Action Rimfire #157

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Please pm me a number and name and address to send a card thanks. im not a vet . but I hope thats ok.
    scorpio, twodot, Pereira and 5 others like this.

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    I'm not a vet, but dad was, and I have a SIL in the Air Force.
    Send me a PM please.

RP
    scorpio, cajun56 and a9mmfan like this.

Monty Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    great idea scorpio

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    God Bless J and all of our wonderful Veterans during the Holidays and every other day of the year.May The Good Lord be with them all always,Amen.
    cajun56, Pereira and scorpio like this.
    The essence of retirement;

Like oats through a horse......so go the days of my life.
    I'm only in my 60s,I have a nice long life ahead......big plans.
    Eating,sleeping and swatting flies......life is good.

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Not a vet either, but would gladly drop him a line AND a card...the least I can do! PM inbound!
    scorpio likes this.
    If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links