https://www.sofmag.com/long-hard-war...UDS8DlCyt38gpI
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Team 45-70
    Team 1894
    NRA Lifetime/Endowment Member
    USMC 0331

Wrangler
    Member #
    As a nam era vet myself I wonder is it worth it? Do the people we're doing it for deserve it?

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Been dealing with that area personally since '89. Seems there is no end in sight, and no, looking back over all of it, it's not worth it. Never since I entered this game have we truly been permitted to win. We sent our guys to fight for decades in a manner that would not embarrass/shame our enemies. That has cost lives, changed the attitude of many a good man, not to mention families, but most important, it has changed how our services approach/conduct "war." There's gonna be some hard lessons learned if we ever have to play in another league, and I am not looking forward to that. I reserve the right to say, I told you so.
    Them that don't know him won't like him and them that do,
    Sometimes won't know how to take him.
    He ain't wrong, he's just different but his pride won't let him,
    Do things to make you think he's right.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by 4T57T View Post
    Been dealing with that area personally since '89. Seems there is no end in sight, and no, looking back over all of it, it's not worth it. Never since I entered this game have we truly been permitted to win. We sent our guys to fight for decades in a manner that would not embarrass/shame our enemies. That has cost lives, changed the attitude of many a good man, not to mention families, but most important, it has changed how our services approach/conduct "war." There's gonna be some hard lessons learned if we ever have to play in another league, and I am not looking forward to that. I reserve the right to say, I told you so.
    That's the bottom line. There has never been a war that America could not have won if the Military had not had their hands tied. Even the North Vietnamese said they had lost the war after Tet 68. They could not believe it when America gave up and pulled out. Every thing since then has been the same old story.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    VFW Life Member
    AMVETS Life Member
    101st Airborne Division Assoc. Life Member

Wrangler
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlinjunkie View Post
    That's the bottom line. There has never been a war that America could not have won if the Military had not had their hands tied. Even the North Vietnamese said they had lost the war after Tet 68. They could not believe it when America gave up and pulled out. Every thing since then has been the same old story.
    Absolutely right. I cannot understand why we do this.If you're at war hit the enemy with everything you can until they are defeated.Limited war with one hand tied behind our back never goes well either go all out to win or stay out of it. Always felt if the damn politicians had given our military free rein in Nam the whole mess would've been over in short order. The politicos learned nothing from that limited war and we have continued to repeat the same mistake over and over again at what monetary cost and loss of troops lives and maimed soldiers!

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Felt the same when the Gulf War ended prematurely. We kicked butt, had the forces in place, and could have taken down Iraq and Saddam well within a week. We had the forces in place and the soldier-warrior mentality to carry it out. Then right at the moment of "climax", we stopped. I was in the 3rd Army HQs when word came down and was one of almost all in amazement and disillusionment at the "stop" order. The old-timers said "we'll be back here again to finish this". Prescient words...

To be sure, the Kuwaiti citizens appreciated us, but that has seemed to have dwindled over the years as the victims have died out or are no longer fearing for their lives.

There were "geo-political forces at work", and terms of a "power vacuum". For that, untold thousands of Shiites and Kurds died and we were still engaged in the air. And Sadaam was still around... A decade+ later, we had to finish the job - mostly, at the cost of untold thousands of casualties (my nephew/GodSon being a WIA).

Hindsight is 20/20, but sometimes, the logical conclusion/future can be seen accurately in the present, but is ignored for political expediency.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    We haven't won a war since WWII
    R. Highhawk

Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth.

TEAMS 45-70, 30-30, 1894, Browning

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    IMO if congress would let the pro's do their job & keep their mouth's shut we would win.
    What this country needs is a department of common sense!
    Team 22 Magnum # 46
    Team Old Pharts # 235
    Team 22 bolt action # 5

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Yep, I almost cried when I saw the pics of us the US fleeing the US Consulate in Nam. I couldn't help but think, why did I waste a year of my life there? Why did my friends lose their lives there? Dam I hate losing!

Padraig

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Can't exactly remember what course it was in, but a line stick with me that goes something like: War is an extension of politics when diplomacy fails.

An obvious statement, but the major problem has been we suck at real diplomacy and use the military on a whim as a means of dealing, but overall small, matters.

IMO, that conditions our military and global foes to expect a metered and limited type of fight.
    Marlinjunkie likes this.
    Them that don't know him won't like him and them that do,
    Sometimes won't know how to take him.
    He ain't wrong, he's just different but his pride won't let him,
    Do things to make you think he's right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links