• 9 Post By PoopDeckPappy
  • 1 Post By Tar_Heel 336

Thread: Ground Speed Read Out- SR-71

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Ground Speed Read Out- SR-71

Worth your time! Classic USAF vs. Naval Aviation

PDP aka: Pappy
    My Favorites: 22 Hornet and all wildcats, 28-30 Stevens, 32-20 and all wildcats, plus all hyphenated rifle cartridges
    Team: "Old Pharts" #348,
    Team Winchester #145

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    I love this story!
    ​~ Mike
    <*)(((((>{

Captain Team Shotgun, Captain Handgun Team Semi-Auto
    Teams 30-30, 45-70, 35 Rem, 44-40, Wheelguns

Certified Gunnut
    Formerly Crystal Coast of NC, Now in Sandhills of NC
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Maineiac View Post
    I love this story!

When I was a radar tech in the Marines stationed at Kaneohe HI back in the 80's, I worked on a 300 mile search radar system - one day we got a blip on the screen with an IFF data tag and it went away only to reappear one time about 2 or three sweeps later exiting on the other side of the scope and then gone - I happened to be in the traffic control hut playing a role as 'tech con' (technical control) between the traffic controllers and the technicians for tactical data systems, air radio and radar etc. for that day's missions when it occurred. The Major playing Senior air controller at the time did some calling around on the radio - a USAF SR-71 had taken off from Okinawa and blasted across the Pacific on its way to Nevada or New Mexico or wherever. It was so radar avoidance coated and moving so fast that we only got two positive hits on it that was tied to the Identification Friend or Foe (IFF) system. That was the only time I am aware of us getting any hits - the radio crackled that we were to be advised that it was their third run of the day - so they had already crossed us like 4 or five times (round trip) without ever being noticed getting picked up by our systems. I don't know if the commercial or AF radars at Hickam/Honolulu airport were aware of the flights and getting hits but I think it was a Hickam AF controller that advised of the 3 flights, (so I'm guessing they were at least aware), but we darn sure were in the dark with our USMC tactical search systems.
    Last edited by Tar_Heel 336; 07-21-2019 at 08:23 AM.
    alawrence likes this.

“Conservatives want to alter their lifestyles to meet reality. Leftists want to alter reality to meet their lifestyles” - Frank Turek, Cross Examine Radio Show
    Reading or Listening for Comprehension instead of Confrontation leads to much better Conversation - Tar_Heel 336
    "The Difference Between Genius and Stupidity is that Genius has its Limits" - Albert Einstein
    ”Yup, but I was on a rant” 49FMarlin... "I hear ya, Brother - Been There, Done That" - Tar_Heel

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gunfighter
    Member #
    That's OUTSTANDING!!

Tim

"The Cowboy Way"

I'm not really a cowboy but I still want to be one when I grow up.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links