• 8 Post By miket156
  • 2 Post By Drm50

Thread: The First American to Storm the Beaches of Normandy

Contributing Member
    Member #

The First American to Storm the Beaches of Normandy

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    With the huge set of "gonads" those guys had, I don't see how they all fit into the landing craft.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Truly THE Greatest generation!

Joe
    Team 444 #134
    Team 45-70 #2
    '79 1894 44 mag
    1894P
    39A Golden Mountie

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Master
    Member #

Cool

President Trumps Speech at Omaha Beach. His most Presidential Speech ever.

God Bless our Veterans, and those that made D Day happen. Families that waited hoping their loved ones returned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhOMVlQxapY

mikom, Drm50, marlinluvr and 7 others like this.
    The difference between Genius and Stupidity is that Genius has its limitations. (Attributed to Albert Einstein)

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    The "forgotten heros" of D-Day were the frogmen and recon men who spent the better part of an entire month working in the dark of night on those very beaches to sabotage the tank traps, barbed wire fields, and defuse mine fields ahead of the invasion.

Our boys carefully reconned and recorded the entire beachhead defensive works months in advance and rebuilt the entire thing on miles and miles of beach in South Florida. They then worked night and day to figure out the best way to sabotage and dismantle it which could be set up to look like it was all still good - yet would fall apart when our boys hit the beaches. They tested all sorts of stuff including aerial bombing to set off mines and the like. Finally though - it ended up being hundreds of frogmen working in the dead of night to quietly and secretly defuse or move the underwater mines, clear the beach anti-personnel mines, cut barbed wire and tie it back together with string, take the bolts out of tank traps and stuff like that.
    redhawk0, mikom, Golphin and 8 others like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I knew three men who jumped into France in the predawn of June 6. One landed in a tree and was told he would never walk again . He survived and walked and lived until his mid eighties. The other lived across the street from the first one and the last was my science teacher in Jr. High School. They are all gone now. It was my good fortune to have known them.
    marlinluvr, RJF22553, WRM and 6 others like this.

Distinguished Master
    Member #

Lightbulb

One of my Uncles dropped into France the night before the invasion. IIRC he was in the 101st Airborne. He never spoke of the War. He was a tall man, physically fit, and an example of the "Greatest Generation" I was privileged to have known him.

Another Uncle served in Patton's army as a Medic. He was a smaller man and volunteered for service while the War was in progress when he was old enough to enlist. He was "privileged" to be one of the "Lucky ones" that came home alive.

Major Richard Winters was asked by one of his Grand Children if he was a Hero during the War. He said "No, but I served with them"

Anyone that thinks that serving in the military in a War Zone is fun, they should enlist. There is NO FUN serving in any War Zone.

People that are disrespectful of anyone that served, no matter what they did or where and when they Served, should try it.

Mike T.
    Last edited by miket156; 06-07-2019 at 07:37 AM.
    The difference between Genius and Stupidity is that Genius has its limitations. (Attributed to Albert Einstein)

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    Trumps speech was great. When you think of what these men went though to save the free world and look at today's generations willing to give it away, it makes you sick.
    miket156 and RJF22553 like this.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links