Marlin Firearms Forum banner

What did you take your road test

6K views 93 replies 77 participants last post by  no primers 
#1 ·
In , an Automatic transmission car or
Truck, ? Or a standard transmission vehicle.?
Iam always looking at help wanted adds for truck drivers and Bus drivers, and I have to laugh when i see an add for a Class A CDL driver, and the add says must be able to Drive standard shift transmission.
I took mine in my dad's 66 chevy C10 three speed on the
Column pickup.

#59 ·
My dad went car shopping in 1967, Dodge dealer had a Chrysler he was having trouble selling. Someone ordered it and stuck him with it. A 2 door hardtop Newport, black interior & bucket seats, auto on console, yellow with black top, 383ci. Old man got killer deal so he bought it. My sis hated that car. She called it the wounded goose. It was like an aircraft carrier and she had to take her test in it.

#60 ·
I used the 1965 Mercury Comet 3 on the three from the diving school. Learned to drive a Farmall Cub when I was 7, moved on to the various pickups and trucks on the farm by the time I was 11. Only took driver's ed. to save on insurance. Back then if you took your test on an automatic they would mark your license with a big "A" which meant you could only drive an automatic.

#62 ·
Learned to drive in a '49 Chevy pickup, Grandpa's ranch truck, at about 12yrs. old. Everything at the ranch and my Dad's shop was a standard trans. Didn't know any better. At 16, got my license in a '57 Ford delivery truck borrowed from my part time after school employer. I had been driving for him for about a year prior to that and lied about my age to get the job. Small town, everyone knew I was 15, nobody cared. Dad was pals with the chief of police. Never had an accident, never got a ticket until years later in another state. Nobody around, flat desert road. State trooper thought 85 was speeding. Things are a bit different these days.

#65 ·
I can't believe this is my first post but this subject caught my eye - Hello all! I will be back.
I remember when I was 13 years old trying to "borrow" my brother's '68 Road Runner but kept popping the clutch. Fail. Probably a good thing, in retrospect.
Took my 16 year old licensing test (Los Angeles area) in a '72 Vega auto. Too easy (passed first time but still managed to roll a couple of stop signs).
Fell into road/club racing when I was bucks up, and was a service advisor for a Peterbilt dealership when I wasn't. Now I can heel-and-tow, double-downshift with the best of them.
I love driving - anything - fast preferred.

#66 ·
Hey Bc6161 - A friend in high school, about a hundred years ago, drove a '60-something Ranchero (the small one) straight-6 with 3 on the tree. It was finished in that nice dirty, faded white/ivory paint. In our senior year, we drove that thing every weekday to the beach - and didn't care what happened to it as a result. I still believe you can't dent it.
BTW, my first car was a '64 VW Bug. I kept it through many upgrades, and different configurations, for about 6 years. it went through constant rebuilds as it was stolen 3 times and returned in various trim.
Ah, the bad ol' days....

#67 ·
well my dad had a used car lot. so to take the test I used a 1971 Buick skylark. it was in almost ne condition. it had an automatic transmission, a turbo 350 to be exact. how do I know? because I learned to work on junk at that lot and other places and I became a professional transmission rebuilder. so I know what it had.

I have a brother in-law who went down to the highway department with his older sister. while he was there he asked about taking the driver test. they said he could take it right then. they went out to her old piece of junk car, the instructor got in the passenger side and had to kick all the beer cans out from under his feet so he could put his feet on the floor! yea life in the south as a *******. it was fun back in the day, and it still aint bad. nowadays if that happened she would have at least been arrested and maybe shot! but we don't drink any more,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Reactions: drinva
#75 ·
Learned to drive at 13 when one of the guys at the lumberyard I was working at for the summer told me to go bring the truck to him . Probably a 15-20 flatbed lumber delivery truck and ,of course , a 4 speed manual trans . When I brought it to him they all laughed and asked " what took you so long ?"

I took the test in dads 65 Impala with a Powerglide and a 283 ! Pissed dad off that I passed on the first attempt since my goody two shoes big sister had to take it twice .

#76 ·
Road test was on my Mother's '62 Ford with an Auto Trans, but I already had my 3-Speed on the Floor Chevy back home in the garage waiting for me. I never gave up my Clutch Pedal, lol. Been shifting gears continuously now for over 50 years. Favorite Trans? 10-Speed Road Ranger, although 2 Sticks are pretty cool.

#79 ·
Learned to drive tractor trailers in a old gravel pit. Driving
Several old trucks and tractors one was a old B model Mack with a duplex transmission
Took my road test in an old cab over ford with a 10 speed.
First job, was driving for a company that hauled building materials, delivering to lumberyards, had brand new Autocar 290 Cummings with a 13 speed ,

Reactions: 336 Fan
#81 ·
Have had a lot of experiences running the highways,
Had one trailer brake in half as I was crossing a bridge down in Pennsylvania.
Had another were the fifth wheel plate went up tru the bottom of the trailer, the skirting of the trailer box came down and blew all four outside dual wheels.
Lots of fun times, driving over the road.

#82 ·
Funny the differences herein. My dad was driving a grain truck with a two-speed axle at 13 and I drove a late '80's Buick for my test.

Reactions: no primers
#83 ·
I took my Driver's Test at the Belmont Barracks in my Mom's brand new 1963 Chevy Biscayne. It was the bottom of the line dirt cheapest Chevy. Two door, black, 230 cu in 6 cyl with an automatic, AM radio only. Not even a cigarette lighter. I was 14, getting the Pennsylvania Junior License, my older sister drove me there.

I passed with flying colors and drove home. My sister was a terrible driver, but she could drink 3 men under the table. Stories for another day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.