Problem Outback
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Problem Outback

Certified Gunnut
    Member #

Problem Outback

My father-in-law has a 2017 4 cylinder Subaru Outback. He takes pride in keeping his vehicles pristine and until November 2019, it didn't even have a scratch.

Back in November he was getting a haircut and my mother-in-law was sitting in the Subaru (parked in a space) in a strip mall. She was talking to my wife at the time on her cell, when my wife heard a crash. MIL says, "Someone just hit our car!"

It was a 17 yo girl in a Jeep Wrangler, trying to turn into the space beside the Subaru. Fortunately, no one was injured or even shaken up. It was a very slow speed hit. For what it's worth, the girl was emotionally devastated, likely she was talking on her cell phone.

The girl's insurance has been great with the repairs and providing rental cars. Problem is, Subaru can't fix the Outback.

Damage was relatively minor, just the rear panel, bumper, and tail light left side. But they aren't able to get the rear sensors to work. It's been back to the dealer four times. And the dealer has sent it out to 3 or 4 other garages.

First try, back up camera didn't work. It went back. They took it back and assured my FIL it was working. No dice.

Next time the back up camera worked, but the proximity sensors, side and rear, (alert to a pedestrian or car crossing behind or beside vehicle) weren't working.

It's been back two more times to the dealer(s) and they can't find what to fix. This has been going on since November.

We've researched the problem on the net, and there is a known problem with the proximity sensors. Difficult to find, and difficult to fix. Not unusual.

17 yo girl's insurance is paying all repairs and has provided at least 3 rental cars, but my FIL wants his car back. Dealer can't seem to fix it. FIL is not out any money, just time and inconvenience, going back and forth to the dealer.

Any idea where to go from here?

Car is still under warranty, but the problem is from an accident, not a failure. Perp's insurance continues to pay, but dealer can't fix the problem, and frankly it just sits on the lot for a weeks or more at a time. It's not like they're working on it non-stop.

Does the insurance company fork out for a new car if it can't be fixed? Is it the dealer's responsibility to tell the insurance company that they can't fix it? Should the insurance company be alerted to "build a fire" under the dealer's shop?

Never run into this one before...
    NRA Endowment Life Member, SASS, OGCA, NC Watermen United
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” -- George Orwell
    "Corruptissima in republica plurimae leges."--Tacitus
    The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Might be a good idea to consult some REAL body shops that actually do that kind of work?
    ASE Master certified engine machinist
    Team .30-30 #234
    Team .35 #159
    Team .45-70 #161
    Team 1894 #30

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Interesting case here and my wife's car is a Subaru, she loves it. We've never had so much of a hiccup with it.

Seems to me that since the accident, the continuing problem is the insurance companies responsibility. While they've been paying for repairs and rentals, at some point, someone needs to cut the rope and buy your FIL a new car.

You might check into what your state laws are regarding this, including lemon laws since their car seems to be a lemon since the accident. Somehow, the insurance needs to be persuaded, do some research. If a car can't be fixed, time to stick it to them. Your FIL ought to demand a new car.

Jack

Edit to add: Vehicles today have largely become computers on wheels, and we all know how reliable computers are. I'm not one to want all the tech they add to vehicles these days. All the tech added to vehicles come from third party vendors. Most of the vehicles these days have a lot of problems with their added tech.

Seems the entire system needs replacing in your FIL Subaru. Regardless, your FIL needs to begin demanding a satisfactory solution.
    Last edited by JACKTW; 01-22-2020 at 11:33 PM.
    All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth. – Robert E. Lee

My avatar is dedicated in honor of my
    Great Great Grandfather who fought at Bunker Hill and survived to continue his fight in The American Revolutionary War for Liberty and Freedom.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    All work to date has been done in Subaru dealer repair shops, supposedly dealer shops that have the most experience with this sort of repair.
    gunscrewguy and Marlinjunkie like this.
    NRA Endowment Life Member, SASS, OGCA, NC Watermen United
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” -- George Orwell
    "Corruptissima in republica plurimae leges."--Tacitus
    The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government.

Banned
    Member #
    Myself I would trade it in for a new one , the dealer shouldn't depreciate it any for the faults he can't fix
    Two years shouldn't cost too much to move up , I moved up two years on my Ram truck for a pretty much identical new Ram for $7500 .

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    I'm with jack...if they can't fix it, they need to get him a new one!
    Marlinjunkie and Yooper like this.
    If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Platinum Poster
    Member #
    It's time to start tracing wires at stealer ship! Most mechanics now are too lazy to do such a thing! I seen my brother rip apart harnesses looking for pinched or cut wires in vehicle and found the problem!

Good luck!

ca'jun56
    turbobug, Padraig and Marlinjunkie like this.
    Lache Pas La Patate
    Old Phart # 138
    Team .32 Special
    Team Winchester # 118
    Team Marlin .35 # 780

Deadeye
    Member #
    I read an article quite awhile back describing the nightmare scenarios of trying to fix the new cars with all these sensors. Not easy to do. I wish you luck in getting it corrected.
    When you buy one of the new marvels of safety, you've bought a Rubik's cube of technology. And very few shops are equipped to deal with them or even have competent techs yet.
    Unfortunately today's drivers and pedestrians are so reliant on someone else watching out for them, that they don't pay attention and rely on all this new crap to keep them out of trouble. Even the commercials touting all this stuff celebrate stupid people. Disgusting.
    JACKTW, cajun56 and twodot like this.
    Nothing is impossible......for the person that don't have to do it !!

Benefactor Member NRA

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Consider another dealer.

I had a low tech 1973 Dodge slant engine problemmatic. Looked like the engine had been dropped at the factory, burned oil from day one. Dodge dealer 'fixed' it doing a ring job. It left the shop with a knock. Our department baught Plmouths for our fleet so I took the Dodge to the Chysler Plymout dealer. They made it right. The Dodge 'certified' mechanic had switched a couple of rod capes when changing the rings out for the oil burning problem. Truck went on to over a 100K.

AC
    Last edited by gunscrewguy; 01-23-2020 at 03:43 PM.
    JACKTW and cajun56 like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    this is the problem with these new vehicles with cameras and sensors of all sorts, the designs are in such flux just keeping track of the changes not to mention the parts is going to be a specialized auto body dept from now on probably. personally I'd like to find an old Willys or even like a 69 nova
    cajun56 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links